Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SugarBlush Posts: 138, Reputation: 0

Feb 9, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Is kojic acid harmful?
    I came across a website about all the harmful garbage in everyday products like shampoos and lotions. They said kojic acid is harmful because somehow it can absorb into the bloodstream and can do DNA damage. Do you think its safe to use every now and again?
    I'm am terribly confused. Some say kojic acid is harmful & others say kojic acid is safe.

The effects of kojic acid, a compound that suppresses melanogenesis and is widely consumed in the Japanese diet with the belief that it is beneficial to health, were investigated on several aspects of leukocyte function. Kojic acid significantly decreased the levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS) (O 2 – ), H2O2, OH) generated by neutrophil and by a cell-free ROS-generating system. In contrast, it significantly enhanced neutrophil phagocytosis and ROS generation, and lymphocyte proliferation stimulated by phytohemagglutinin. In addition, calcium concentration, [Ca2+]I in human neutrophils was increased in the presence of kojic acid. These results suggest that kojic acid is a favorable agent in terms of host defense in that it enhances a number of activities of leukocytes, but scavenges ROS excessively released from cells or generated in the tissues or blood vessels that are potentially injurious to host tissues.
    If you visit the web site of American Academy of Dermatologists, they declare that long-term use of lightening creams that contain hydroquinone and kojic acid can lead to exogenous ocronosis, a darkened, bluish discoloration of the treated area.
    Kojic Acid is produced by fermentation of bacteria from aspergillus of rice. This ingredient was discovered by the Japanese to have a profound effect on melanin production. It seems to impair the presence of free form tyrosine, an amino acid necessary for melanin production. Kojic Acid has been used in skin-lightening products for over a decade and when absorbed into the skin, can produce rapid, lasting results. Kojic acid has had no scientifically reported health risks associated with its use. Any information suggesting such risks is published by chemical producers of competing agents and has not been validated scientifically.
    Kojic acid is a natural source of whitening. Many cusmetic lines developed by dermatologists contain kojic in low percentage for evening skin tone. As for whitening, kojic acid, along w/ mulberry, arbutin, licorice, etc. are well known to be safe and natural depigmenting agents.
    I have researched the safest skin lighteners available. Kojic acid is the active ingredient in the latest safe skin lightener. It helps lighten skin colour by inhibiting the production of melanin that causes skin darkening and age spots. The skin takes between 4-8 weeks to renew its layers, so during that time the new lighter skin cells come through and the whole complexion will look fresher and brighter.
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Feb 9, 2008, 09:06 PM
    In the end most chemicals can be harmful, but it also would depend on the quantity and frequency of use. I would hope if it is in most products like you say, that the companies have fully tested the chemical in question before shipping it out to the public.
    Samia1123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarBlush View Post
    I came across a website about all the harmful garbage in everyday products like shampoos and lotions. They said kojic acid is harmful because somehow it can absorb into the bloodstream and can do DNA damage. Do you think its safe to use every now and again?
    I'm am terribly confused. Some say kojic acid is harmful & others say kojic acid is safe.
    I had the same questions in my mind! I have been using kojic soap for long, and got good result from it. However after read the info about kojic acid, I was terrified. Could sum1 with experience and knowledge clarify whether it is suitable for long term use or not. :)
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Apr 28, 2009, 05:09 AM

Kojic acid is controversial along with arbutin.

I have used kojic acid and nothing has happened to me. Although, I don't use it over a long period.
    gorgeouslady Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Apr 28, 2009, 06:37 PM

I guess in the end everything is dangerous in this world.we just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide if we want to put ourselves at risk to achieve what we want.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeouslady View Post
    i guess in the end everything is dangerous in this world.we just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide if we want to put ourselves at risk to achieve what we want.
    :) you are right
    tanyaa Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkChic View Post
    Kojic acid is controversial along with arbutin.

I have used kojic acid and nothing has happened to me. Although, I don't use it over a long period of time.
    HY.. ive a question on my mind for a long time and asked already to
    Many but didn't get the right feedback yet:(.. as your a skin expert ,so I'm asking you again.. lol..
    To use mono for a long period I mean after getting the perment result.. the skin become like vitiligo patient( that white.. )?and if one do use mono based cream to particular area the result spread to all over.. I mean the whole body becomes white like vitiligo patient?
    Looking forward to your response,thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kojic Acid? Sure White Cream And Loreal Whitening Creams [ 13 Answers ]

Please Can Someone Help Me Here? I Have Been Using Sure White Cream For Over A Year Now And Honestly It Did Help When I Went On Holidays I Got A Tan Came Back And Stopped Using It Now I Am Using It Again But The Cream Contains Kojic Acid Is That Dangerous? What About The Loreal Creams Are They Any...

Kojic acid, Arbutin and vitamin C powders [ 4 Answers ]

I've been searching for skin lightening products and I found Kojic acid, Arbutin and vitamin C powders on Ebay... They says that you can mix one of them into your moisteriser and use it... Have you guys tried that and please tell me the intructions how I can make it... Thanx a lot.

Any 1 know about Kojic acid and Arbutin side effects? [ 4 Answers ]

Any 1 know about Kojic acid and Arbutin side effects?. Is there any care to avoid the side effects? :confused:

Kojic Acid [ 1 Answers ]

Is kojic acid soap are applicable to use in a teen agers face?

View more questions Search