Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Cameron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Remote controllers
    I'm trying to establish if there is a device available that will let a severely paralized individual contol a TV and DVD. The individual involved has what's referred to as locked in syndrom. Essentially, their mental capacity is in tact, but physically nothing works below the nose. Verbal comunication can only be accomlished using eye blinks in response another party rhyming off a specially developed alphabet. There is however some slight volentary head movement but with little to no stength.

Voice activation is out of the question and what I'm trying to establish is if there is some device ( Controler) out there that is menu driven and would respond much like a computer 0 & 1's to slight touch, and at the same time emit the signals necessary to operate a TV and DVD in the same way that normal remote controlers do and are shipped with these products.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
    On market
    I do not know of any item on the market that would do this, You do need to check with one of the more advanced medical supply stores.

Also ( no idea of the cost) they make a controler for an electric wheel chair that operates off "puff's" of air or "sucking" on a tube. I am sure one of the advanced techs that makes the chairs using this, may be able to wire the controller into a TV controller, but the cost even if possible would be in the thousands.
    John Cameron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Thanks for responding. I hadn't thought of the air approach and was focused on the modest head movement. I'll check with our local wheelchair supplier and see if he can direct me to an appropriate manufacturer through which I can explore that possibility. Money is definitely an issue but so is quality of life, and it doesn't hurt to ask or explore. My problem is the local professionals aren't prepared to think outside the box.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Invacare
    Invacare ( major US wheelchair manufactorer) and I believe Pride Mobility both make switches that operate on the puff and suck method.

They are used to open and close pneumatic switches that then operate electric switches. They use them in wheel chairs to make the chair go forward or reverse and to turn right and left. They can also make the seat rise and lower and tilt.

For example two quick puffs and it goes forward, two slow puffs may make it turn right. A suck may make it go back. And so on.

Now I doubt anyone has made it into a TV remote but it is possible from my very general knowledge of the equipment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

Remote car starter [ 2 Answers ]

Can I switch a remote car starter from one car to another? Mechanically I think it can be done but I'm not sure if the remote itself is programmed for a certain car. Thanks

Need a remote! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a hampton bay ceiling fan and need a replacement for its remote. There is no item number or anything that describes where it comes from, except for a tag that says hampton bay on it. Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem. Please help.

Php remote include [ 2 Answers ]

Hi why won't this code work have I done something wrong? Thanks <html> <head> <title>test</title> </head> <body>

Remote on Hampton Bay fan [ 1 Answers ]

The control on my Hampton Bay fan is not working properly. I have changed the batteries, but this is not the problem. If I buy a new remote, how can I make it compatible with this fan? Any hints?

View more questions Search