Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sn0wstar40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Carrier Weathermaker 8000
    Hi, I am having a problem with my Carrier Weathermaker 8000, Last night when we went to bed, everything was fine, this morning when we woke up it was a chilly 61 degrees in our home. Our neighbor came over to try and fix the problem, but, now we can't get the heater to come on at all, before while he was here he said that there were 2 codes, a 31 and a 12. The 12 says the R-W is closed, does it need to be opened? And if so, how do we open it? It is supposed to get really cold here tonight and I have two children, one which has been sick, so if anybody can help, it would be greatly appreciated... Thank You!

:confused:
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 11:26 AM
    I think that all "R-W closed" means is that your thermostat is calling for heat (reasonable, given your house is 61 degrees). And I believe the 31 code means you have some kind of venting issue. Was it really windy last night? This could manifest itself as a vent problem. Other than that, it could be:
    - Low inducer voltage (115VAC) - Defective inducer motor (the small motor in front)
    - Defective Blower motor or capacitor - Restricted vent
    - Defective pressure switch - Excessive wind
    - Inadequate combustion air supply
    - Disconnected or obstructed pressure tubing

There is a component test built into this furnace that might help diagnose the problem.
    If you're handy, it is a simple procedure (if not, get someone who is!).

There may be instructions for this on the furnace cover, but the basic procedure is:
    1. Shut OFF the room thermostat or disconnect the "R" thermostat lead.
    2. Briefly short the TEST terminal to the "Com 24V" terminal.

Status LED will flash code and then turn ON the inducer motor.
    The inducer motor will run for the entire component test.
    The hot surface ignitor, blower motor-heat speed, and blower motor-cool speed will be turned ON for 10-15 seconds each.
    Gas Valve and Humidifier will not be turned on.

You should be able to see/hear each component work (or not!)

Best of luck,
    Wally H.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Your pressure switch is stuck open or its not closing on startup. Check for a restricted or froze condensation line, Check exhaust vent and air intake for restrictions(bird or wasp nest). Or it may just be the pressure switch sticking you can remove the small rubber line going to the pressure switch and blow and suck softly on it you should hear a click, put it back on and give it a try. DO THIS TEST With THE POWER OFF!!
    eagark Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2008, 01:38 AM
    You might have a reset button at the top of the furnace near the flue pipe that you can reset by pushing in at the center of the little circular button. If not, then the pressure switch may be faulty, or more likely the vent (flue) is restricted or clogged in some way. Other more in depth tests probably need a tech to determine the cause. Unfortunately this particular furnace was noted for numerous safety features, which on occasion become stuck or malfunction. However, when they are needed, they may save your life, so we tolerate the inconvenience.
    Misty73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 11:09 AM
    Anyone know what the 24 flash code means on a Carrier 48ce024060?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Weathermaker 8000 [ 4 Answers ]

I've had my carrier a/c heat unit for about 10 years.. . Good service, but it has recently been making a sqeaking/chirping/screeching sound when the fan is running in a/c mode. I reminds me of the sound a car makes when the fan belt is slipping. Any suggestions? Thanks, lankford3

I have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000, It comes on but the burners do not light up [ 1 Answers ]

Its comes on for about 15 seconds and then cuts off

Carrier weathermaker 8000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier weathermaker 8000 furnace and it come on for about 20 seconds then the burners cut off, the fan keeps going and it just keeps repeating this cycle like it is short cycling... Does anyone have any ideas because it is freezing in my house...

Carrier weathermaker 8000 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a carrier weathermaker 8000 gas furance... when the thermastat calles for heat the furance turns on it willgo for 3 for 4 min... then the flame stops and the blower runs for the 128 seconds... this is all normal... but the thermastat is still calling for heat and the furance kick on again...

View more questions Search