Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mazzie Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Yimage.dll Error Message
    I am working on a Win98SE box, 10G HD, 256 RAM, Compaq Presario 7360. When it boots, I am getting a "A required .DLL file YIMAGE.DLL was not found". How can I get this file back on?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2006, 09:44 AM
    Seems to be associated with Yahoo Messenger. Try reinstalling it: http://messenger.yahoo.com

Jan 19, 2006, 09:46 AM
    If the gentleman will never use Yahoo, can I just remove it?
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzie
    If the gentleman will never use Yahoo, can I just remove it?
    Sure, just uninstall the Yahoo Messenger.
    RootLevel Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Feb 13, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Sure, just uninstall the Yahoo Messenger.
    I think this was were the original prob came from. My brother is going through the same thing. We also tried to reinstall it and then remove it again with no luck. And yes we did go through the control panel and removed it the proper way. I also went into the C: drive and made sure that any folders that were left over from the uninstall were deleted as well. I did find this link though

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...s.shtml?yimage

And it gives you a download for the missing file but there is no instructions on where to save it. Looks like a lot of people with the same problem. Any solutions?

Feb 13, 2006, 09:15 AM
    My solution was to remove it from his system as he never used it. My feeling is that the problem is with the Yahoo/Windows98 interaction. I learned my lesson about Win98, in that by the time I can troubleshoot certain problems, you can have a newer system! LOL
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Hi, Mazzie,
    The dill file goes in:
    C:\ Program files \ Yahoo \ Messenger
    You must unzip it in Messenger, as in the pathway above.
    I also use Win98SE, which both my wife and I really like, cause it runs some older photo/imaging programs... very good programs, that are not compatible with newer windows.
    I apologize in advance if you know all the following, but 98/98SE does require some Maintenance. Here are the steps I use, and how to do them:

Registry Repair should be done whenever there are problems:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it pressed down (or release and press, release and press) until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:\>
    Type in SCANDISK , all small letters, and it will look like:
    C:\>SCANDISK , then press Enter. Takes about 5 min. maybe.
    When finished:
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:\>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:\windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C\:> prompt.
    Continue with the above.
    When it returns to the C:\> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Win98/98SE Regular Maintenance
    All of these should be run whenever Win98/98SE starts giving problems. It will keep the computer running smoothly.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Virtual Memory; Notes:
    Windows 98/98SE does NOT defrag the swap file; win386.swp; or Virtual Memory. Go to Start>Control Panel>System>Performance tab>Virtual Memory button. Then, click on "Disable Virtual Memory"; a pop-up will say "don't do this", but do it anyway. Click on OK, then Apply, then OK to reboot. This makes the configurations take place. Don't forget, after running Defrag, to come back and re-set it to whatever you used for Virtual Memory. I use 1 1/2 times the RAM, for both the Min. and Max numbers.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down (or press and release, press and release,) F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk. Yes, run Scandisk again.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

Re-set your Virtual Memory, re-boot, then turn on screensavers, wallpaper.

After all is "said and done", 98/98SE still has to normally be re-installed about every year! I do wish you the very best of luck.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RootLevel
    I think this was were the original prob came from. My brother is going through the same thing. We also tried to reinstall it and then remove it again with no luck. And yes we did go through the control panel and removed it the proper way. I also went into the C: drive and made sure that any folders that were left over from the uninstall were deleted as well. I did find this link though

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...s.shtml?yimage

and it gives you a download for the missing file but there is no instructions on where to save it. Looks like a lot of people with the same problem. Any solutions?
    You can try using msconfig to stop the process from loading at startup.

Feb 13, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Hi Fredg:

The virtual memory trick was new to me, thanks! As for the others, I tried them on his 98box and for whatever reason, the maintenance did not improve. May I have your permission to copy the maintenance steps and forward them to future win98 customers? I don't mean to put down the Windows 98 operating system, I just prefer XP mostly and I prefer some of the newer mult-media programs. I have an old win98se box in my parts graveyard, maybe I will fix her up and do some experimenting! That's just how I am, I Got to KNOW! Thanks!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Hi, Mazzie,
    Please do use anything I post, in any way you choose.
    My collection of "stuff" is from personal experiences, thrown in with a dash from here and there. It's all nothing new.
    Wish we could use XP; it's a LOT less troublesome! Best of luck "playing around".
    RootLevel Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Feb 13, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    You can try using msconfig to stop the process from loading at startup.

We ended up doing this, and yes it stops the error message from popping up when you boot up. But, did this just stop the problem from trying to start it self? Is the "bad" software still in there somewhere?
    I told my brother to use trillian and stay away from Yahoo and aim and any others, but he didn't listen. And he is using winxp so don't think using another os is the easy answer.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Yes, it is still on the machine but I would not consider it 'bad', just software that is missing a component. Either way it is not loading at startup so the files are not running on your system.

Feb 13, 2006, 02:54 PM
    Thanks! In the past I fhave ailed to write down every little problem I have had and lo and behold, the same problems come around again, usually when the solution has just been purged from my head! Good luck with 98se.
    chevygirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2006, 11:52 PM
    I have uninstalled messenger and reinstalled two times now and I still get the error message ,' yimage.dll ' and my Yahoo messenger doesn't work. It was working fine one day , not OK the next. Help me please.

Thank you,

chevygirl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Far Cry Error Message [ 5 Answers ]

I installed and updated the game Far Cry, but this Error keeps coming up: "Please insert the correct CD-Rom, select OK and restart application " I have unticked the Emulation programs that I can think of. ( Alcohol, and uninstalled Ghost9 and Clone DVD2 ). Nothing works, put in CD, click Icon...

DVD Error Message [ 2 Answers ]

I've got Power DVD 5.0 and every time I try to play a Copyright Protected DVD, I get the error message "TV out port not configured properly", with the details being "Can't play copyright protected DVDs with TV out function enabled". I have looked in the WinME help and support page. My graphics...

Error message [ 1 Answers ]

Error message when trying to save a web page. Please help me Marthie

Error message [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to fix my computer. At shut down, I keep getting a drwts.32 error and a dwwin.exe. Error. Any idea what it is and how to fix it?

Error message [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I just bought my new dell PC, when I was setting it up, I found my mic doewsnt work. It says error message 0x80004005, it then says to install it from my add remove programs but its not in there. I was just wondering what kind of sound card I have in it, should it been SOUNDMAX,and if so...

View more questions Search