Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lien on bank account Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Lien on bank account for seniors with SS direct deposit
    My parents are 78 years old and on Social Security a fixed income. They receive a check every month and it is directly deposited into their account. They paid their mortgage and bills from that. Today they checked their account and found out that there was a judgement lien on their account for 5,000 plus dollars and their SS deposit used for the mortgage and other bills were not being paid due to the hold. The account is now $3,000 overdrawn due to the hold on the account. They are quite upset and is not aware of any judgments, never received a letter from the bank or any other notification of this judgment and hold on their account. What can they do at the bank level to have this hold released until they get the information as to why there is a lien so that their bill payment can be made. This is their only source of income. Who is responsible for the overdraft, late fees and bounce check fees. I would appreciate some one to assist me to help them in this matter. They are afraid that the next check will be taken also and they will end up in foreclosure for nonpayment of their rent.

Thank you

A
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 04:58 AM
    Hello a:

If this is a mistake, then it can be corrected at the bank. Banks, however, rarely make these kinds of mistakes.

You say they never received notification from the bank... The bank isn't required to notify them... But, let's look a little deeper. Certainly, if they were sued, there was a great deal of notification. There would have been letters and phone calls and things nailed to their door. If they didn't do anything about those notifications, they got sued and the plaintiff got a default judgment and went to the bank to get paid.

If NONE of that happened, then the bank will release the funds. If it DID happen, your parents need to settle the debt.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I stop direct deposit if I think of a checking account lien [ 6 Answers ]

I may have a property going into foreclosure with 2 missed payments. I was thinking of filing chap 7 , I took the means test and my income is below the requirements. I also was wondering if you can get a company like a hospital to stop direct deposit if I think I am going To have a judgements from...

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I opened a new account at a bank two weeks ago. I was contacted by the fraud department and was informed that the bank had accidentally sent my bank statement to another customer. I was told that the bank was putting a hold on my account, so there would be no further activity. I was told to...

Lien on Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I jointly own the house I live in. My brother has moved out and lives out of the county. Due to unpaid real estate taxes ($6,000) the County of Fairfax, Va. Has placed a bank lien on my brothers bank account. I have not received such a notice as of yet. What does this mean for my...

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I have a judjment lien against my bank account. What go in this account are Socical Security cheks (exempt incomes). How do I do to have this lien removed or the money freed ? Thanks.

Joint Bank Account & Direct Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I know this has probably been answered in some form within this forum, so I apologize. All of the details: My spouse has a bank account. It is in my spouse's name and I have been added as a "view only". I cannot move any money. Both of our payrolls are deposited into this account. Is his...

View more questions Search