Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mushroom Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 09:10 AM
    Windows Startup Error
    Hi! I'm trying to help my sister with her computer because she can't get online. When she turns her computer on (windows 98) she gets a message stating that there is a windows startup error. It says "try loading SBEINIT.CO before SMARTDRV.exe or minimizing VDISK".How do we do this and what caused it? Thanks so much for your help.
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 19, 2006, 09:27 AM
    It looks like the RAM is not getting enough memory...

You can try these:

1) http://www.computing.net/windows95/w...um/139738.html

2) http://computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/14289.html

3) http://www.askanowner.com/qa/view.asp?s=1&qid=19750
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Hi, Mushroom,
    I also use Win98SE, have for many years.
    This might take some troubleshooting, could be one of many things, including the autoexec.bat or config.sys files.
    The first thing I would do is the scandisk and scanreg, which will put all the folders in order and repair the Registry. Not absolutely sure this will solve it, but is a good starting point.
    Here are steps to do the above:

Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it pressed down (or release and press, release and press) until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:\>
    Type in SCANDISK , all small letters, and it will look like:
    C:\>SCANDISK , then press Enter. Takes about 5 min. maybe.
    When finished:
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:\>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.

If it doesn't load windows and go to the desktop, please post back. I do wish you the best of luck.

Jan 20, 2006, 09:30 PM
    Windows Startup Error Message
    Hi Q-Man &Fredg,
    Thanks so much for your quick response. I will try these solutions as soon as possible and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Jan 23, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Hi Fredg! You really know your stuff. I tried your ideas on my sisters computer and it's working again. Turns out she had a corrupted area that had to be moved(user.dat files, I believe). I had all his written down but left the paper at her house. Thank you so much from both of us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Xp error [ 4 Answers ]

I have updated window Xp.But my windows is not genuine one.There is a star appeared at task bar now showing message ``Purchase a genuine windows license now``.I want to remove this star from task bar. Please tell me Haroon

Windows Registry error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post and I am not very computer literate. I have been getting a lot of error messages so I decided to reinstall windows xp. This erased all my files and everything like I wanted it to. I have the internet back up and working now but I keep having a windows registry error. From...

Windows registry error [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my computer had problems with error popups and trojan popups all the time so I decided to reinstall windows and everything is fine now except I keep getting a windows registry error. I've done this one other time and the Comcast guy set up everything for me and I can't find out how to finish the...

Windows/Registry Error [ 8 Answers ]

I have gotten twice in the last month or so an error message (upon startup) to the effect: Windows had had a problem accessing the registry. It will fix the problem and restart. The only option I'm given is to click OK. Then it says it is restoring an old version of the registry. On restart, I...

Windows 2000 startup services [ 2 Answers ]

I have an ASP application installed on IIS, using MS SQL server on windows 2000 server. Sometimes if server restarts and it is not given a login id and password the server allows opening of ASP pages, retreival of data on the application but if a new record is saved, it gives error and it does not...

View more questions Search