Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ubnokcus Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Asked to resign lease 5 months early?
    Recently I got a letter informing me I must re-qualify and re-sign my lease but my first lease is not due to be re-signed until 5 months from now is this a legal move their pulling on me? Or are they trying to up my rent to get more money from me?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 04:15 PM
    I don't understand the term "requalify". What are you requalifying about?

Feb 8, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Re-qualify as in income/credit check its on an apartment for a year term lease but they are trying to get me to re-sign 5 months before my lease ends
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Sounds like they want to raise the rent.

I would tell them that you are not interested in signing a new lease until the new one has expired.

The only exception will be if someone else has purchased your residence, then, I'm not sure what your options might be.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 05:24 PM
    The income credit check sounds like something they do with public housing. Am I right about this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Have you seen the lease? Does it have a rent increase?

Feb 8, 2008, 05:45 PM
    The lease does not have rent increase in it, the community is income controlled (not based) which only means rent does not go up for the term of the lease, and yes this is public housing (section 8) but I am a working leasee not under section 8
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Because its public housing, you may be required to periodically requalify. Doesn't sound like a problem to me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 06:03 PM
    If you are not ready to sign a new lease ( assuming you old one still lasts 5 months) so a new lease would start on the date the old one ends, so if you don't know what is going to happen in 4 months, I don't see why you can't wait, what does your old lease say about renewing it
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Feb 8, 2008, 06:36 PM
    They are getting their paperwork in order to know what vacancies they will have in each category of units... resign or risk your home not being available when you DO WANT to resign.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termination of my lease after 2 months [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm live in Missouri & recently rented an apartment for my daughter & I. From the first day that we moved into this apartment, the tenants residing above me & their 2 children made so much noise on a daily basis, that even trying to sleep was impossible. They would blast their stereo &...

6 Month Lease, 2 Months owed - Georgia [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My rent was late by 1 day in June and I was called on my work #, home #, and out of state cell #, to notify me. I mistook "by the 3rd of the month" for "by the 3rd biz day". Rent and late fee was paid immediately. My daughters mother passed away who lived in a California. I was in...

Can I break a lease with only 2 months left in lease [ 5 Answers ]

I had a leak in my apt which ended up being from the 2nd floor's a.c. it took my landlord 2 weeks to figure out where it was coming from and it was a pretty heavy leak so my walls got pretty flooded. How can I break my lease.. I only have 2 months left and I have mold in my hallways and in my...

Eviction after 2 months with lease [ 5 Answers ]

My friend called me today in tears. She moved into a house as a renter in May 2007. Today is July 22, 2007 and her landlord sent her an email stating that he has sold the house and she has until August 21st to vacate the property. When she rented the house it was not liveable so she painted and...

NJ-Requested to break lease, not settled yet - 8 months now [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I requested to break the lease in Aug 2006 after staying only 2 months after signing 1 year lease. Sent a letter in writing as I lost my job and can not afford to be in the apartment. But, haven't received any information from the apartment. Called several times. Used to call almost like...

View more questions Search