Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puneet24gupta Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
    B1 (75 days) + L1 (135 Days) + Family = Filing Staus?
    I came to US on L1 visa (Company Transfer) with my wife (non-working) and son (Infant) on L2 Visa on Aug, 11 2007.
    Located in Dallas/Tx with no state tax and getting US salary with tax witholding based on M5 status.
    My total stay in L1 visa is <183, but stayed on B1 Visa in Feb-May 2007 for around 75-80 days and was getting per diem allowance and salary in India.

1. Does my stay on B1 visa will be computed for SPT or 183. If yes then can I file a Resident Alien?
    2. If I only qualify for Non Resident allien Married filing Separately, do I get the standard deduction for myself and exemptions for my wife and son.
    3. Have paid income tax to Indian govt. on my April - Aug 2007 Salary.
    4. Does Tax status M5 means that the standard deductions for myself and exemptioms for my family has been provided.
    5. Can I choose to file as Resident Status under First years of choice. What are the complications in this way?

Regards,
    Puneet
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Puneet:

1 & 3) You can file jointly with your wife and you BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens for ALL of 2007. This will require that you claim ALL 2007 world-wide income on your tax return, but it allows you to claim your wife and child, PLUS a $10,700 standard deduction, PLUS the $1,000 Child Tax Credit.

2) You can if you file as a dual-status alien. You CANNOT claim the standard deduction nor the Child Tax Credit, but you can claim your wife and child as dependents and you will pay taxes ONLY on your U.S.-sourced income.

You may have to prepare the return BOTH ways to determine which way is best.

Feb 14, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Thanks for your help Atlanta Expert.

1. To be treated as Resident allien filing jointly, I'm assuming that my stay on B1 Visa has been counted for 183 days calculation and can file by the April, 15 (don't have to wait for completion of 183 days in year 2008 and file extension).

2. But, my wife and son does not completes 183 days by Dec 31, 2007 - does that matter?

3. I have paid home loan interest (3800$) and done investment (1800$) for saving tax in India. Does all of these amount qualifies for the tax exemption here? Is it possible not to club my India income in US return and pay taxes on India only?

Regards,
    Puneet
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 03:19 PM
    1-2) You qualify to file as a resident alien ONLY IF you file jointly with your wife. You will NOT have to wait because you have qualified for SPT; your wife will file as the non-resident alien spouse and youBOTh will have to sign a statement to that effect, so no efiling.

3) The home loan interest IS deductible, but probably will NOT exceed your $10,700 standard deducttion. You MUST claim the India-sourced income; that is black-letter law.

Apr 20, 2008, 09:25 AM
    I appreciate your answers and impressed by your deep knowledge of taxes.

Will I be able to exclude my Foreign income from US taxation purpose either through Bonafide Residency Test or Physical Presence Test. I been into the US on B1/B2 visa on the following occasion before finally coming on L1 visa in Aug, 11 2007 till date:

Arrival Date Departure Date Total Days
    ------------- ------------------ ------------
    2/24/2007 5/12/2007 78
    8/5/2006 9/17/2006 42
    11/25/2005 1/1/2006 36

What should be my tax home for year 2007?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Once you decide to file joint return as residents, you must both declare your worldwide income for the year 2006.

For a major part of your income in India, you were in the U.S. so you will not meet both the Bonafide residency test and physical presence test. You will need to file Form 1116 to claim credit for the taxes paid in India.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Apr 22, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Thanks for quick reply sir.

Here you are referring 2006 worldwide income or the 2007 income? I thought I have to include my India income from Jan-Dec 2007.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 11:05 PM
    Yes, on your 2007 tax return you must declare worldwide income for 2007.
    For filing as residents, only one spouse must meet the SPT (183 days) requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I started my period 2 days after unprotected sex, It only lasted 2 1/2 days. [ 6 Answers ]

I know I've already asked if I could be pregnant because I started my period only 2 days after having sex. I've gotten feed back and that reassured me, but the weird thing is my period only lasted 2 days. I started on Tuesday morning and by late thursdy night I was already finished, which isn't...

Do I need to pay taxes if I am out of India for more than 183 days [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a business trip to USA for 6 months for the first time. My salary is being credited into my bank account in India. If I stay back for a month more either in Canada or Dubai, henceforth completing more than 183 days out of India in this financial year, do I get some exemption in taxes...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

Resident alien or not if in US in 2005 for less than 183 days on H1 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US on H1B in Oct,2005 and my spouse joined me in Dec,2005 on H4 ( spouse is not working). So, am I a resident alien for filing taxes for the year 2005 ? I want to know what should my spouse state as reason on form W7 for applying for ITIN no - d/e/g D - Dependent of...

F1 to H1B ,two W2s, less than 183 days in 2004 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a similar situation like him. I am from india. I was on F1 from Aug2002 to Oct 2004, on OPT from May 2004 to Oct 2004 and on H1 from Nov 1 2004. I earned approx. $5000 on F1 as a Graduate Research Assistant, $20,000 on OPT and $ 4000 on H1B with the same company as an OPT. I have received 2...

View more questions Search