Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msvatko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Vent tube spec height
    Hi, I'm remodeling my kitchen, and have a question about the vent tube. I have a sink in the center island, and want to make the entire counter flat. I currently have a backsplash behind the facet. When I removed the backsplash I found the vent tube going up higher than the counter surface, and then back down through the floor. Can I cut the vent tube so that it is lower than the counter top, and is there a spec height that the vent tube needs to be?

Thanks Mike
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Hey Mike... the answer to your question will depend on what codes prevail in your area. Let me explain.

A vent needs to connect 6 inches higher than the flood level rim of the fixture it serves... this is for a few reasons... most importantly to keep waste from flowing down the vent should the drain clog. If vent tied lower than it should... say just as high as the bottom of your sink... your sink waste line could clog/backup and you would not know because it would just back up and run over/into and down vent... i.e. the vent would become the new waste line... that is a bad thing.

Anyway, you have two options: 1) You have an island vent that seems to connect higher than the flood level rim of the sink... that is good... except I then have to wonder if it runs under the floor and then back up the wall to tie into a vent stack (must tie in 6 inches higher than sink rim as mentioned)... or runs separately up into attic and ties into vent there... or at least somewhere above sink rim. See, an island sink vent should not be piped as you suggest yours has been. It should be piped similar to the attached picture below. IF yours looks like the picture and you can confirm that your vent under floor connects back up and into wall AND TIES IN HIGHER THAN FLOOD LEVEL OF SINK, then you can lower the vent under sink to look like the picture and you will be all set. If you cannot confirm that the vent connects higher than sink rim... then you cannot!

HOWEVER, if code permits in your area...you may be able to install a studor (AAV) vent as in the second picture...call inspector in town and ask him his opinion.

Hey, if my answer helped please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on button below. Thank you. Let us know if you have any more questions.
    Attached Images

msvatko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by msvatko
    Hi, I'm remodeling my kitchen, and have a question about the vent tube. I have a sink in the center island, and want to make the entire counter flat. I currently have a backsplash behind the facet. When I removed the backsplash I found the vent tube going up higher than the counter surface, and then back down through the floor. Can I cut the vent tube so that it is lower than the counter top, and is there a spec height that the vent tube needs to be?

Thanks Mike
    Hi, thanks for the information. If I cut the pipe and move it down 1 inch, then it will look exactly like the one in the picture. The current vent tube goes past the top of the sink. The house is 10 years old, and all the plumbing was professionally done, they just made this vent tube a little too high. Thanks again Mike.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by msvatko
    Hi, thanks for the information. If I cut the pipe and move it down 1 inch, then it will look exactly like the one in the picture. The current vent tube goes past the top of the sink. The house is 10 years old, and all the plumbing was professionally done, they just made this vent tube a little too high. Thanks again Mike.
    The only real height requirement for the 'loop' section of a foot vent is that it be as high as possible in the cabinet base.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hey Mike....the answer to your question will depend on what codes prevail in your area. Let me explain.
    That isn't a very accurate representation of a 'Foot-Vent', MassP.

The drain should be 2", the 1-1/2" San-Tee just below the floor should be a Combo and the C/O on the vent is placed incorrectly -- It should be on the vertical portion of the vent going up the wall.
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Iamgrowler... I am afraid that my picture is as valid as yours. In fact, in Massachusetts I can pipe the "bow-vent" three different ways. Would you like me to get you drawings..
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Iamgrowler...I am afraid that my picture is as valid as yours. In fact, in Massachusetts I can pipe the "bow-vent" three different ways. Would you like me to get you drawings...?

You're allowed to run a kitchen sink drain in 1-1/2" and you're not required to have a clean-out on the vertical portion of the foot vent going up the wall?

As for the drawings, if they're handy, then I wouldn't mind taking a peek.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Cool... give me couple days.. glad to share (been awhile).

AND... I don't want to say no clean out in vent at wall in any or even all drawings... but just that they are each different... so is yours... but the cleanout... yeah that is a good idea. Talk soon.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Cool...give me couple days..glad to share (been awhile).

AND...I don't want to say no clean out in vent at wall in any or even all drawings...but just that they are each different...so is yours.....but the cleanout...yeah that is a good idea. Talk soon.
    I only ask because I worked on a few restoration projects in Worcester in the mid-80's and distinctly remember running all of the kitchen sink drains in 2".

Then again, that was twenty years and about 6 or 7 code revisions ago.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 05:58 PM
    I promise to get back... love the feedback!
    Beyhan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 04:08 PM
    No! Do not cut that. It is the high vent loop that is required to vent the sink. That tube runs directly to your stack vent and without it your sink is going to start gurgling like crazy...
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 04:25 PM

Hi Beyhan...

I'm afraid you are incorrect here... ;)

If you reread msvatko's question you will see that he is asking about an ISLAND SINK VENT and simply wants to cut the pipe down to the height just below the countertop. Since most island sink vents don't go higher than the counter as in his case, to lower the vent to the height of the countertop is more than acceptable... see images posted.

Also note the date of the post... Feb. 2008. Here's hoping that the work is completed by now, huh?

Good day!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper height of stack vent through roof [ 6 Answers ]

Greetings, I am remodeling my house and have just finished roughing in a new bathroom. I am at the point now where I'm ready to extend the stack through the roof. I'm trying to figure out how high the stack needs to be. I seem to remember that the proper stack height was reached by using...

What Kind Of Pills Are These And The Spec Please [ 24 Answers ]

I Found A Round Pill That Is White And Has A Number 512 On One Side Then A Line On The Other I Was Told It Was A O.codone Is That True I Found A Pill With A Cursive V On One Side On Other Side It Has A Line And A Number That Says 35 92 It's A Oval Shape I Was Told It Was A Vicodin

Height of roof vent [ 7 Answers ]

My mother ( does not live close to me) is complaining of a smell in her basement around the area where there is a basement sump pump to pump out water that may seep into the basement. There was a service person out today and they told her it was most likely because the roof vent was not high...

Dryer vent height [ 1 Answers ]

I need to put a 4" dryer vent through the wall in my new utility room. The exhaust comes off the dryer right near the floor, very similar to the one shown in this image: (only not on it's side) http://grandlakeguardian.org/media/2007/03/07.03.07.washing_machine_kwik_way.600x397.jpg My...

View more questions Search