Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marc Briese Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 07:05 AM
    New bathroom sink drains slowly
    I am finishing my basement. Shower is done, toilet is done, just installed vanity, sink, faucet, and drain. But the sink drains really slow when there is a small amount of water in the sink. But if I fill up the sink fairly full, then open the stopper, the water drains very quickly.

Two potential problems I see: (1) sink is vented four feet from drain (I believe code is 3'), (2) tailpiece is 1.25" and trap is 1.5". Anyone have any experience with this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 19, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Hi Marc,

"Two potential problems I see: (1) sink is vented four feet from drain (I believe code is 3'), (2) tailpiece is 1.25" and trap is 1.5". Anyone have any experience with this?"
    (1) 2" drain line 5 feet from drain. 1 1/2" drain line 3 1/2 feet from drain.
    Not to worry.
    (2) This is a normal set up. The 1 1/12 trap has a 1 1/2 X 1 1/4" nylon gasket the takes careb of the difference.

The more water you have in the bowl the more head pressure and weight you have pushing the water down the drain. Less water--less pressure so it doesn't drain as fast. One other thing. On some of the newer lavatorys a vent is needed to prevent air lock when draining. Did you installn a bowl type lavatory without a overflow feature? Regards, Tom
    Marc Briese Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Thanks Tom. Yep - I do have a sink without an overflow. It was pretty spendy, so I'm bummed that this is causing problems. Would you recommend pulling up the lav and returning it, opting for a model with an overflow? Or is there something else I can do to help it drain more quickly.

Great forum.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 19, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Hi Marc,

I know that Kohler addressed this problem with a special tailpiece that vents.
    These types of lavatories are prone to air lock. What's the make of your lavatory? Regards. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink drains through floor not wall [ 9 Answers ]

Hello First, let me say this a great forum. I just found it and registered. I want to put in a Kohler Cimmaron pedestal sink in my bathroom. The only difficulty is that the existing drain goes through the concrete floor rather than curving into the wall. And, it is about three inches off...

Laundry Sink Drains Slowly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. Great Forum with great answers! Our laundry sink is in the basement and has a 1 1/2" pvc pipe set up to drain the washer to the point where it is under the laundry sink. The laundry sink also drains out into the "V" pipe and fills up as the washer drains its water out. Problem: Sink...

Tub drains slowly [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I've got one for you all... Our bathtub in the master bathroom drains slowly. A common problem that seems to be caused by grease and hair clogs. But I don't believe this is the problem. Here is my situation. The bathroom has two sinks, toilet and separate shower. All of which drain...

Bathroom sink Drains into #2 sink [ 3 Answers ]

I have bathroom sink drain problems. The master bath sink drains into the shared bathroom sink which is located directly on the other side of the wall. I recently remodeled the bathroom and the only difference in the plumbling is a horizontal length of pipe I added to accommodate the new sink...

Shower slowly  drains [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a shower that drains slow about 1 gallon per minute. I had two different plumers come out and snake the drains about 16-20feet but did not work. We had a new tub put in and over flow pipe still having the same problem. The drain for my other shower works fine can I tap in to that drain...

View more questions Search