Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cw0409 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Basement heat vents
    I am finishing my basement and want to add heat registers. The furnace is in the basement with the duct work overhead. I want to put registers near the exterior walls in the basement ceiling. Can I cut registers into the same ducts that take the heat upstairs or will this take away too much air flow upstairs?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 09:20 PM
    It will take away from the upstairs. The registers have dampers on them that you can adjust to help decide how much air you want. You will also need a return air in that area. Its hard to heat a area if you can't remove the cold air.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Adding another area to your heating equipment are you sure the furnace is going to be big enough
    GE1223 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cw0409
    I am finishing my basement and want to add heat registers. The furnace is in the basement with the duct work overhead. I want to put registers near the exterior walls in the basement ceiling. Can I cut registers into the same ducts that take the heat upstairs or will this take away to much air flow upstairs?
    You can do this but it will take away some of the cfms (air flow)from the main supply trunk how much depends on the stattic pressue of the blower. You can you can change the blower(indoor fan) speed to a higher setting just by changing the dip switches on the board if you hve a varable speed fan if not simply change a wire from medium speed to high speed or low to medium

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nothing is blowing through the vents, ac or heat [ 2 Answers ]

My air was working fine. But I when came home the other day nothing was blowing through the vents. And the pipes to the ac were frozen. All the filters were clean in the furnace and in the ac. We checked all the breakers in the house and shut everything off and turned it on again including the...

Not getting heat through any vents [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace, pilot comes on, fan motor works, but not getting heat through any vents at all. Also burning type smell through house when on.

No heat blowing from vents [ 1 Answers ]

This morning I could hear the motor running on the air/heat unit; however no heat or air was coming through the vents. It seems like the fan is not working. My mother in law mentioned the possibility of it being a fuse out on the unit. I just don't want to wait until Monday to fix something that I...

Furnace on but no heat coming out of vents [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have a natural gas furnace that's about 7 years old, in a house I just bought this summer. Today I was noticing that it was pretty cold, so I turned up the furnace. It went on, but after a while I noticed that there was no air coming from the vents. I tried to turn it off and on again but...

Clicking heat vents [ 1 Answers ]

We have a new house and the heat has just started to come on during the night. The Air vent in our room makes a loud clicking noise as it heats up and cools down. Is there A way to STOP the clicking before we go insane? Thanks!

View more questions Search