Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlude Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Doggy daycare
    Does anyone think I could start a doggy daycare business living out in the country? The closest city is not very big either.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 02:11 PM
    If you mean that you live maybe on a farm or in an area where the neighbors are spread apart from one another, it sounds like a good idea because the dogs would have more room to romp around and the noise factor for neighbors probably wouldn't be a problem. What do you mean that the closest city is not very big, please? I mean, what is the population of it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Customers will be a real issue, if you do this along with a grooming service you may get enough business. Remember some states (actually all of them I know of) require several license for this. A kennel license may be requried with inspections and review of written procdure how you will protect the health of each animal. Control of contact, what chemcials you will wash cages down with, ** many use steam or extremely hot water and chemicals,

Marketing is the next issue, and market share. Most likely it will be some time to build business and ever see a profit, but it may be one you can make work with time.

** assuming you are wanting to do the dog care at your property, can you get it rezoned for this business.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 02:15 AM
    Fr_Chuck's answer makes some very valid points that do need consideration. And, as you can see, there are some possible issues with which you will have to deal. But, it still sounds like good location to try something like what you would want to do because of being out in the country. I would still like to know what the population of the nearest city is.

Concerning how to market your business, I can definitely advise you in successful ways that you might do that.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Feb 11, 2008, 03:27 AM
    Having family in the country, I would say no. Most in the country do not care for their animals in the same manner that people in the city do (it seems). Most people that I know from the country... leave their animals outside, feed them scraps and such. I really do not see them paying for someone to "watch" their dogs.

Sorry... just my opinion.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 03:29 AM
    Home

The above link might be useful for you. The group has many valuable resources to offer such a business as you are considering.

I have met the original founders when the group was first organized. Good People! Be choosy about where you spend your money though, sometimes, it seems that the group was only interested in how to make itself more profitable as opposed to it's members.

Let me add that I was involved in the Pet Sitting business for about 7 years. We went to the pets homes. Wore out several vehicles from all the driving...

Another potential problem is possible abandonment of the animals once someone lets you have them... What will you do then?
    tlude Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 09:24 AM
    The population of the nearest city (which is about 15 minutes away) is 5,200.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doggy refuses to eat doggy food. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a west highland terrier which has been with me for 9 months and recently I just brought him to a doggy's restaurant. Apparently, he has not been the same ever since he came back after the treat and didn't want to touch his dry food anymore. It is actually a far cry from what he was when he...

Whiney doggy [ 6 Answers ]

My 2 year old lab is driving me insane!! For the past couple of weeks, he's been following me around all day long, whining. I go to the laundry room, he follows, watches me put the clothes in, and whines. I go to the washroom or have a bath, he comes with me and whines. I go to the kitchen to cook,...

How much for this doggy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sclupture that is signed by G. Gori. It is a statue of a lady walking a large great dane that is set on a marble base. I believe this is an Italian artist that worked in the early 1900's. Can anyone tell me more or what its worth and if its of value where to sell it?

My Dog & Adjusting to Doggy Daycare [ 6 Answers ]

I have a one year old male yellow lab who is very rambunctious and loves to go and play with other dogs but has problems settling down. He is fine is we leave him at home and we crate him. He never cries at night when we go to bed and put him in the crate. He is a bit hyper I guess but the vet...

Funny Doggy [ 2 Answers ]

Hiya, My 4yr old black labrador Deefa has starting behaving rather odd. He's quite a nervous dog anyway but recently he keeps coming up to either me, my parents or my sister and crying as if he wants something, we give him fresh water, food, cuddles etc etc but he still doesn't settle. This...

View more questions Search