Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mnbmanx45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 02:13 AM
    401K - to roll or cash
    When I received notification of my QDRO back in 2000 I chose to put it into a 401K with the option (so I thought) of receiving a monthly payment once I reached a certain age. But not being 100% sure, I called the Benefits Office earlier this week and found out that I can 'cash it in' or roll it over at any time (I'm over 60)... but only as a lump sum.

To make matters more confusing I now live in the UK... married to a Brit and have the luxury of being a housewife. I would like to be able to have access to some of the money but roll the bulk of it into an option where I would be able to receive the monthly income.

I know there is an off-the-top 20% taken at the time if I cash it out, but was interested in the concept mentioned in another thread of 'custodian-to-custodian' transfer. There are some really top-notch plans being advertised here on the Isle of Man... can this roll-over be done to one of those?

As this is my only US-based income, would the 20% take care of the tax on it? Would I get some of that back once the decuctions are figured in? Any particular IRS forms I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Mary
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 21, 2006, 01:57 PM
    Hi Mary,
    I haven't been on line regular of late. Noticed you didn't get an answer yet so I thought I would throw my one cents worth your way.
    First a 401K can be rolled over to a traditional IRA. Once that is done you can withdraw money as you please. Depending of course on how you set it up at rollover. You can talk to your bank or a financial planner to see what meets your needs the best. I'm not a fan of annuities, but they are an option.
    Second, the UK factor is out of my league. Your bank should be able to help in that regard, or refer you to someone who can.
    Enjoy the days,
    Walter

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

401K cash out, help [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone like a challenge? Lol As you can tell by the title a lot of changes in ’06…I reside in NH but work in MA and collected unemployment in Mass... 1. Laid off 1/4/06…Got residual hourly rate of $1500 GROSS, commission of $500 GROSS and annual bonus of $1000 GROSS… 2. Cashed out...

401K roll-over question [ 4 Answers ]

I requested that my 401k from my former employer be sent to my 401k at my new employer. The old 401k company mailed the check to me although I had given explicit instructions to send the check to the new 401k company. The check is made payable to "New 401k company FBO 'my name'. Can this...

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

401k Cash Out [ 5 Answers ]

The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least...

View more questions Search