Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerzeygirl36 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 09:40 PM
    1099-S Overstates Amount Received for Real Estate Sale
    My husband and I in partnership with another individual sold a commercial property this past May. It was an investment that went sour. The property sold for $480k. Hubby and I received $63k, Partner received $53k, our Realtor got about $25k, not sure what was paid to attorney, about $16-18k went towards past due mortgage payments. That's about as much as I remember.

This week Hubby and I received a 1099-S which states that we received $216k. Friend received one that states that he received $184k. This doesn't seem right to us. Shouldn't the 1099-S indicate only what we actually received?

Basically the IRS believes that we made $216k on this real estate deal and our partner $184k? Can we say otherwise? What do we do?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 06:39 AM
    The 1099 should report the gross amount received for the sale of the property. On your tax return (or on the partnership's tax return) the cost of the property should be shown as a deduction to arrive at a net gain or loss. The amount you are taxed on is the net gain (sales proceeds less the amount paid for the property). The reason that you received less cash at sale is because you borrowed cash to purchase.
    jerzeygirl36 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2008, 12:32 PM
    I was so upset when I saw the 1099-S. I quickly called the attorney who helped us with the sale and he said "you would just report what you recieved per your HUD statement". Sounds similar to what you are saying here. I will just give all paperwork to our accountant along with copies of the checks written out to us which totaled ($63k just in case).

Thanks for explaining so clearly.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 12:19 PM
    IntlTax says it very well.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Glad you agree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What taxes I will owe on real estate sale [ 2 Answers ]

I have a confusing problem. My family has recently sold property that was left to us. The property was only titled to an aunt, and one cousin. Everyone , even the aunt and cousin knew that the division of property was a 25% split, and then further divided into smaller %. Two families got 25%, ...

Real estate foreclosure sale [ 2 Answers ]

A home in my neighborhood has been vacant since January 2007, the owner had died. There are no known relatives. The lawn has been taken care of by the neighbors to keep the area looking nice. The house is still fully furnished car in garage and all. No one has been in the house except the...

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

I received an 1099 misc from an employer [ 5 Answers ]

I Received A 1099 Misc Form From An Employer Where Do I Report This Income ,I Usually Use The 1040 A Form Can I Still Use This Form? I Am A Us Citizen

What is the minimum amount I should win to place a real estate lien? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a condo. My neighbor upstairs flooded my and does not want to pay for the water damages. If I take him to small claims court, win and he still does not want to pay. Can I place a lien against his condo? What is the minimum amount of money I should win to place a lien? Thank...

View more questions Search