Ask
    cochise Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Replace transmission range sensor
    How do I replace the transmission range sensor in a ford windstar 2000
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Set the parking brake and shift the trans selector to neutral.
    Remove the shift cable from the shift arm with a suitable tool. It should pop up and off.
    Remove the shift arm from the transmission shift shaft. Avoid moving the shift shaft during this stage.
    Remove the switch from the trans housing.

Name:  1a.gif
Views: 228617
Size:  8.2 KB

Reinstall all the items previously removed.
    Be prepared to adjust the switch so the vehicle only start in park or neutral.
    There is a tool for presetting this adjustment but if you're careful and "lay" the switch where the faulty one was, this will reduce guessing.
    EXCERSIZE CAUTION! KEEP THE PARK BRAKE FIRMLY SET UNTIL ALL ADJUSTMENTS ARE COMPLETE!
    yestome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Sometimes I have to put the shift lever into 2nd to get the normal drive gear, and other times everything is normal by just putting the shift lever into drive.
    What is wrong?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Yestome, it could be a bad TRS or one that is out of adjustment. The shift linkage could also be out of adjustment--too much slop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same? [ 8 Answers ]

97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it...

Transmission range switch vs position sensor [ 2 Answers ]

1998 Honda CR-V Check engine light came on. Honda troubleshot it saying it needed the transmission range switch replaced. After work done, invoice showed that the position sensor was replaced (part # 28900-P4T-003). Are these two parts one in the same? Thank you for your help.

Changing from a gas range to an electric smooth top range [ 1 Answers ]

What are the requirement for switching from cooking with a gas stove to cooking with and electric stove

O2 sensor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Please help me! My exhaust manifold cracked right down the middle on my 2000 Honda Civic LX. So I bought a replacement. Now the O2 sensors won't fit to the opening. Can you buy a longer wire for the O2 sensor? If you can where would you get one? Do I need to return my...

View more questions Search