Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack_S Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2004, 01:47 PM
    Netscape lack of support
    Bought a new computer. I want to transfer my archived mail/folders from Windows 95Netscape 4.x to WiindowsXP/Netscape 7.x.

I have been to Netscape's support site, no reference to my question nor any way to ask the question.

People buy new computers everyday. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who saves certain mail.

The Netscape support site was designed to display advertising for Netscape not answer even the simplest questions. No matter what I do, I cannot make contact with them.

Thanks. Take care.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

May 20, 2004, 05:41 PM
    Re: Netscape lack of support
    Bought a new computer. I want to transfer my archived mail/folders from Windows 95Netscape 4.x to WiindowsXP/Netscape 7.x.

I have been to Netscape's support site, no reference to my question nor any way to ask the question.
    Ugh... netscape.com looks more like a gigantic ad banner than anything else...

]
    People buy new computers everyday. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who saves certain mail.
    You aren't.

]
    The Netscape support site was designed to display advertising for Netscape not answer even the simplest questions. No matter what I do, I cannot make contact with them.
    Well, that's netscape.com for you. I don't have anything against the netscape browser, but the new netscape.com makes me sick. At least it's better than MS internet explorer. :)

I suggest you try out a better web browser and e-mail client.

I'm not familiar with netscape's e-mail client (eudora, right?)

Take a look in the menus for something that says "export" or something similar. This should allow you to save your messages and address book, and then you can use a similar procedure to import them into netscape on your newer computer.

:)

~psi42

May 21, 2004, 11:53 AM
    Netscape lack of support
    Thanks psi42,

Unfortunately, Netscape has 'import' only. Can't find 'export' or 'archiving' or 'backing up' any where.

I love Netscapes format. Their support is just non-existent.

I have spent hours going through their help text, search, FAQs and nothing addresses the problem.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

May 21, 2004, 04:33 PM
    Netscape lack of support
    Well, this is from netscape.com :(

http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19990317-4.html

It's about transferring an address book, but the mailbox transfer should be something pretty similar.

It's a pretty poor HOWTO ;D

May 21, 2004, 04:54 PM
    Netscape lack of support
    Thanks again for trying. Netscape provides a process for address books. They don't for 'old mail'.

I checked out the process you forwarded and the file extensions and locations are totally different.

So unless they provide a transfer process I guess we are at their mercy.

Thanks again.
    cwojoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2004, 10:59 PM
    Re: Netscape lack of support
    Did you ever get an answer to your import question? I have a very similar situation, I can't solve. I had a computer "crash" a short on the motherboard which had an ME OS and I was using Netscape 7.1.

The HD remained operational. I bought a new computer and installed the "old" HD in it as separate drive. I can see my old profiles but can't figure out how to import / export the profiles from the second (F:\) drive. I did move the profiles to a CD-RW but can't "import them on to the (C:\) new and much more efficient drive.

The new system's OS is XP. Likewise, I would like to salvage my old e-mails; address books and bookmarks if possible.

I agree that the Netscape site is very difficult to get anything useful in the way of "Help" or " Tech support".
    grumpasav Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2004, 02:35 PM
    I don't use netscape much but if you open netscape mail, go to tools then import... there is an option to import communicator 4x messages - is this not what you want?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Netscape 6.1 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fairly new Compaq computer running windows Xp. It came with both browsers - explorer 6.0 and Netscape 6.01. My problem is that I cannot delete history items, either individually or the whole cache from Netscape. I have no problems with explorer - but the same procedure doesn't work...

View more questions Search