Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused_college_student Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Issue Price of a Bond
    The issue price of bonds is equal to
    a. the present value of the principal
    b. the present value of the interest
    c. the present value of the principal minus the present value of the interest
    d. the present value of the principal plus the present value of the interest

I think the answer is A, but I'm not sure. My book says the present value of the bond is the present value of an annuity plus the present value of a single amount. So I am wondering if it isn't maybe D?

Julie
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 12:17 AM
    Hi. D is actually correct. It would only be issued at the face value if the contract rate were equal to the market rate, and the question is not giving you that information to work with. Even if they are equal, D will still work to get the issue price.

As for the statement in the book, the "single amount" referred to is the bond face value. That's a single amount because it will be paid back once, as a lump sum, at the maturity date. The "annuity" is the series of interest payments. An annuity is actually any series of equal payments made at equal times. (The kind you hear about like for retirement is only one use of the word.) Since interest payments are made in equal amounts at equal times, that's an annuity.

So your book is essentially saying the same thing as D, but using a couple of different terms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating a bond price [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please give me the answer to these 2 questions: 1. Figure the present value of a previously issued bond. Purchase of a 10 year bond with 7 years to go to maturity, with a face value of 1,000 that pays an annual coupon of $40 and the interest rate is running at 5.5% how much should...

Selling price of a bond [ 3 Answers ]

On December 31, 2005, $210,000 of 11% bonds were issued. The market interest rate at the time of issuance was 12%. The bonds pay interest on June 30 and December 31 and mature in 20 years. Compute the selling price of a single $1,000 bond on December 31, 2005. Round all intermediate...

What is the selling price of this bond [ 1 Answers ]

When the market rate of interest was 11%, a Corporation issued $1000,000.00, 12%, 8 - year bonds that pay interest simiannualy. What is the selling price of this bond?

View more questions Search