Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waynejc Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Bathroom Fan/Light
    I have a bathroom wall switch that only turns on the exhaust fan located in the ceiling. I would like to change this ceiling exhaust fan to a combination fan/light unit, to be operated by the same wall switch. I have read that if I install a fan/light combination unit that turns both on at the same time. I could hook up to the same wiring without having to run extra wiring. Can I do it this way?

2nd question: If I wanted to install a fan and light combination unit, where I have a switch for the fan and a switch for the light. Would I have to run extra wiring? They make switches that have both toggles on the same wall switch so you can have a separate toggle for the fan and one for the light. This way I could just turn on the fan and/or the light by itself.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 12:19 PM
    What you propose would cause all thre fixtures to come on/off at the same time. The question you need to research is the amperage draw of all 3 fixture and the amp rating of your switch and existing wirng. Many homes run 14-2 wire to the ceiling fixture and use a 15 amp breaker. This may be inadequate for a heater, fan and light. Tell us the amperage for the units and what gauge wire goes in/out of the switch box.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Since it is a light and fan combo, you can use existing wires like ballenger says and is OK, If in conduit, you may be able to push or pull an extra wire in, use the stacked switch and your done.
    If it is a 4X4 box with single gang mudring, you can carefully cut just enough to allow removal of single gang and the installation of 2 gang mudring, to allow 2 separate switches, maybe a dimmer?

Feb 7, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Dah, I don't know where I got that 3rd fixture. I thought incorrectly that Wayne was also thinking light/fan/heater combo. The heater alone can draw 15 amps but just a light/fan should be fine on existing 14-2.
    BGH Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waynejc
    I have a bathroom wall switch that only turns on the exhaust fan located in the ceiling. I would like to change this ceiling exhaust fan to a combination fan/light unit, to be operated by the same wall switch. I have read that if I install a fan/light combination unit that turns both on at the same time. I could hook up to the same wiring without having to run extra wiring. Can I do it this way?

2nd question: If I wanted to install a fan and light combination unit, where I have a switch for the fan and a switch for the light. Would I have to run extra wiring? They make switches that have both toggles on the same wall switch so you can have a separate toggle for the fan and one for the light. This way I could just turn on the fan and/or the light by itself.
    No matter what you do, Use Panasonic brand no matter what you do. They make the best and quietest fans you will ever find. My 150 CFM (to example) is quieter than the builders cheap 50CFM fart fan. They are not sold in those DIY junk hardware stores, and you may have to search, but its worth it. Replaced all mine with Panasonic. Love 'em.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
    What waynejc should be asking himself is "Can I get the the proper wire down the wall to the switch so I can have it myway". Bet he can.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Nutone/Broan also make Super Quiet Fans, QXTEN series .3 Sones(Very Quiet) It is the quietes I have heard, will have to compare with the Panasonic. With these, you don't need a switch for the fan, they are very quiet, Nutone/Broan also make one that is humidity sensing for Automatic Operation.
    waynejc Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by waynejc

To:ballengerb1, Stratmadno, BGH and hkstroud. Really appreciate your comments. I now know what to do because of your answers. THANKS, Wayne

Feb 9, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Don't forget, we canb probably help you pull another wire from the unit to the switch. Tell us is you have cable or are in conduit. Good luck Wayne
    BGH Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 03:02 PM
    *Fishing* a wire down the inside wall of 99% of any home is easy. In the attic, just look for the top header 2x4, that is the wall. Drill a 1/2 inch hole, and drop down a small chain with the wire connected to it,, at the box, use a coat hanger to fish around inside the wall to catch the small chain,, pull it through the knock out in the box, and there is your feed, or switch leg for fan or what ever. Did the above for many years remodeling and rewiring elect heating in homes, works easy and painless. As far as the wire, a 14/2 will easily handle 1850 watts, but also consider, what else is on the circuit.
    striper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 07:09 PM
    You do not want to use 14-2 for a 1850watt load. You will need to run a 12-2 which can safely be on a 20amp circuit.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:44 PM
    The "easily handle 1850 watts" is incorrect. The NEC requires circuits to be rated at 80%, which is approximately 1440 watts. Yes the 14/2 wiring is rated higher, but code restrictions allow 80%, not 100% of the capacity.
    Either way waynejc, it's unlikely you will have a problem with what you are intending to do.

Good luck.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Aug 29, 2008, 11:13 PM
    Wire is not sized by how many watts is can handle, it is sized by amperage and the two are are only proportional to each other if the voltage is the same for both. Also, 1850 watts is fine on a 15 amp circuit, if it's 240V. Which is possibly why the guy that does electric heat made that error. Watts is a useless number for sizing wire unless you know the voltage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom light/fan combo [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 lights in my bathroom, one over the sink and the other over the shower stall. A separate switch controls each light. I would like to replace the shower light with a light/fan combo. How do I wire it to the existing switch position, replacing that switch with a 2-switch unit to control...

Broan bathroom fan light does not light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old Broan bathroom fan/light in which the light does not work. Replaced the light with a new bulb but still does not work. The fan works fine by switch but the light switch produces no result. What are most likely causes?

Hooking up bathroom light/fan combo [ 7 Answers ]

We're trying to hook up a bathroom light/fan combo to replace a separate fan unit. We have 2 switches; one was for the fan and the other for the laundry room light. The power comes in from the laundry room light. We want to have the 2 lights (laundry room light and fan light) work off one switch...

Bathroom fan/light: light works, fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

I'm back with more "finishing basement" questions. This weekend, I wired my bathroom. This is 20 amp service with 12 ga wire. For the bath fan/light, the power source came into the switch box (1 box, 2 switches) on a 12/2 wire. From there, power goes up to the light/fan on a 12/3 wire. Red goes...

Bathroom Fan Light Does Not Work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Nutone combination Fan/Light in my bathroom. Out of the blue, the light does not work but the fan still works. There is a separate switch for the fan and another for the light. I checked the bulb and it is OK. I checked the switch and it seems to work. I detected voltage on the hot...

View more questions Search