Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Another one bites the dust
    ABC news just reported that Romney is dropping out. NBC confirmed it also. Says Romney,

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror..."

"This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters... many of you right here in this room... have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming President. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America."
    What happened to "We're going to keep battling, we're going to go all the way to the convention and we're going to win the White House?" What next for the Huckster? Could the GOP be uniting behind McCain to get the real battle started?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:20 AM
    It's good news for me… next for the Huckster…the white house?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:25 AM
    I am as you know not a big fan of the Huckster .But what he has demonstrated is that in the heartland he can mobilize the base to turn out .

What is unclear is if the base will accept him as 2nd fiddle. I don't think so.

What I see is the base being for some reason unforgiving of McCain's heresies. Much of it of course is McCain's fault . He has been sticking his finger in their eye since 2000 . But reconciliation is needed and if it takes the Huckster being on the ticket to get it done then I'm all for it.

It has happened that way before . Reagan reached out to the big tent Republicans by bringin in GHW Bush (who called Reagan's economic plans "voodoo economics") . Also despite the perception of the Republican party being this ideological pup tent ;the truth is that since Reagan the standard bearer of the Republicans has been a big tent Republican who made peace with conservatives and not the other way around.

As for Romney... maybe when he discovers who he truly is there will be a future for him . That may sound harsh ,but the truth is that conservatives would've naturally rallied around him without his cheerleading squad egging him on if he was truly a conservative.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
    I don't think he will personally make peace until after he is elected and will make the election about the war in Iraq. On the other issues he is closer to the Democrats that the Right.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Maybe he realized that he had a slim chance of winning the last few states and decided that you can only put in so much of your own money before it stops helping.

I think he wanted it the most though, but America wasn't ready for him, and he wasn't ready for us. I really wish he'd of stayed though he was my favorite next to McCaine.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Wow, I would not have guessed Romey to give up so quickly!

Romney to withdraw from White House race | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Saying that he was withdrawing because America was at war in Iraq and he would rather support McCain as nominee rather than make it easier for the Democratic nominee to win.

Good reason
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
    I wonder if it might help the Rep. cause for him to approach McCain about being his running mate...
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Feb 7, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    I wonder if it might help the Rep. cause for him to approach McCain about being his running mate...
    That's an interesting idea. I like the idea of McCain/Romney better than McCain/Huckabee.

Of course, my first choice of Fred Thompson/Predator didn't pan out, so I guess I'll take what I can get.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    It’s good news for me… next for the Huckster…the white house?
    You're a fan of the Huckster?
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:11 PM
    My initial excitement was for Paul... but he's all but fizzled out :o

Thompson was my 2nd choice :o :o

Of the ones left that can win, I'm definitely for Huckabee.
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Sidenote: I just heard an awesome phrase from someone being interviewed:

"McCain needs to learn some humility, or at least pretend he has some"

Very well said methinks.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj
    That's an interesting idea. I like the idea of McCain/Romney better than McCain/Huckabee.

Of course, my first choice of Fred Thompson/Predator didn't pan out, so I guess I'll take what I can get.
    You know of course there is still the possibility of Gov. Goodhair Perry on the ticket - he was really quick to endorse McCain when Rudy dropped out.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    As for Romney ...... maybe when he discovers who he truely is there will be a future for him .
    Tom, I was just going to give you a thumbs up rating for the excellent analysis but I haven't spread enough love around again. :rolleyes:

I think you're dead on about Romney.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Sidenote: I just heard an awesome phrase from someone being interviewed:

"McCain needs to learn some humility, or at least pretend he has some"
    LOL, that is good. He does need a little humility, but one of the things I do like about him is his willingness to tell people what he really thinks. :D
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    As for Romney ...... maybe when he discovers who he truely is there will be a future for him
    I agree almost dead on... but I'd use "decides" instead of "discovers".

I think giving a popular opinion is more important to him than giving his own.

It's one thing to change your mind on a significant issue like he did on abortion, but to waffle and say "uh-well, umm - uh, well..." so much in one breath is a bit much for me :o
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    He's bright, personable and seems like a nice guy…that appears to be what's driving Osams, or whatever the name, supporters. Except for the anti-war group that has fallen in love with him.:D
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:59 PM
    I agree almost dead on...but I'd use "decides" instead of "discovers".
    An appropriate distinction. :)
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 7, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Romney was my least favorite of the Republican candidates, mostly because he eerily reminds me of Bush on economic issues including giving big corporations tax breaks that never trickle down for better wages to the middle and lower classes. That part of the Republican vision has never produced nothing more than images of slavery, corporation style. We've had two and half decades of greedy fat pocketed executives that are only concerned with quarterly profits so to cushion their end of the year bonuses. Most of those executives option downsizing and cutting employment before considering any lesser pay from their own six figure salaries. I do give Romney some credit for proposing not to tax people ages sixty-five on their payroll checks. However his arrogance to condition us in believing there is some sort of desired normalcy for older citizens working forever, makes me sick. These older people should be retired or on the cuff of retirement after working a lifetime. Romney like many of his constituents are narrow minded politicians that praise the government for sending out letters in hope to entice the public into working until we are age seventy, instead of sixty-two or sixty-five, just for x-amount more of social security dollars each month; working the middle and lower class to death.

In all fairness, I call the Democrats "corporation left" and the Republicans "corporation right." Pick your poison for whatever reasons. Most candidates are on the take getting campaign contributions and the big corps expect favors in return from both parties, very few do not. In fact one reason Ralph Nader (Green Party) still garnishes votes is because he doesn't pander to the corporations and makes some sense on the economic front.

Anyway the Republican nomination is now McCain's to lose. However for my concerns McCain is to archaic in his rational. Bush's war strategy in Iraq was poor and wouldn't improve with McCain. It's easy for McCain to say that he wouldn't mind putting young men and women in position to fight wars for one hundred years when he himself will probably not be around to see the next five or ten years. Huckabee, whom has his own quirks, I think, would use eventual phased redeployment and is the only one I know that is running ads to abolish the IRS. Paul, though I'm not sure how practical, at least comes to the table with fresh ideas to be tried. I'm still undecided if I'll vote for anyone Democrat or Republican. I have decided that on the Democratic side I prefer Obama to Hillary. As for the Republicans, I prefer either Huckabee or Paul over McCain.

Bobby
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speechlesstx

He's bright, personable and seems like a nice guy…that appears to be what's driving Osams, or whatever the name, supporters. Except for the anti-war group that has fallen in love with him.:D
    Yeah but it was the Huckster that dropped the anti-Mormon bomb on the election. "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"
    That was a low blow which catered to the worse instincts of his base of support .

I also disaprove of his preaching from the pulpit during campaign stops.
    Beyond that his foreign policy is muddled and his fiscal record as Governor appears to be more liberal than to my liking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dust in House [ 10 Answers ]

When we moved into our house several years ago we never had any dust problem. Now after several years we've notice we have a lot more dust than we use to have. Several people have told me that I need to get my ducts cleaned and this should fix this problem. The problem I have is I installed filters...

People turn to dust [ 3 Answers ]

I watched this movie when I was a kid in the 70's. Some people were in a cave, maybe scientist, maybe related family, they saw a flash a light come from outside. The vehicle did not start. They started walking. The house they came to, no one around. The clothes were laid out on the bed with a...

Truck windshield has dust like particles in it? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a certified toyota tacoma truck. My problem is that it has a dust like appearance PERMANENT imbedded in wind shield. No matter how clean it is, it has a dust like appearance in sun light. Almost like sm stones hit it. Any cures to remove? Thanks,John :confused:

Drwall dust clean-up [ 7 Answers ]

How do you clean up dry wall dust from sanding 4 walls and a ceiling.

Dust falling from ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with what appears to be Sheetrock dust covering everything in my condo. I clean everything up but after a day the dust is back. It is difficult to breathe and I am trying to figure out a way to determine what this dust is or to get stop it from falling from the ceiling. I...

View more questions Search