Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Labor Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Meter Socket and Main Breaker Issues
    I just ordered a new meter socket from the utility company and it is rated for 200 amps. My friend is a certified electrician and he will be doing all the work. He advised me to get an exterior main breaker so we could relocate the interior sub panel approximately 7 foot away from the point of entry. That panel will eventually be replaced as well. However, I was told to purchase a 150 amp exterior main breaker, as my friend felt like 200 amps was overkill. However, doesn't the exterior main breaker have to be rated for 200 amps since the meter socket is rated for 200 amps? This equipment will be used on a cabin in Michigan and I live in Illinois. In Illinois, I believe the two have to be the same. In any event, I am having difficulty finding anyone who carries a 150 amp exterior main breaker, so I am leaning towards getting a 200 amp breaker. Also, I was advised to purchase No. 1 copper for the runs from the mast to the meter socket and then to the main breaker. That was conditioned on getting a 150 amp main breaker. Does that sizing change by using a 200 amp main breaker?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 08:55 AM
    If you have 2/0 wire, I would go the 200 Amps, 1/0 is good for 150 Amps, Would have to look up for #1, TK probably knows off the top of his head. A 200 amp Socket is the Maximum, you could have a 60 Amp service with a 200 Amp Meter Socket.
    150 and 200 amp breaker will both fit in the Disconnect, Disconnect needs to be rated for the amps of the breaker.
    I would not pull #1's for a 200 amp service. 2 2/0, 1 1/0 for neutral, and #4 for ground, would be good for 200 amps to Panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Load Center Main Lug or Main Breaker for the Attic [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large attic (on 3rd floor), 38'x28', which is unfinished space. The 2nd floor central air-condition is located there and used to be fed by a 60 feet of 12/3 cable (I changed the cable to 10/3 to reduce the chance of voltage drop) and it's fed by a dual 15A breaker (240v breaker) in the...

2 way lighting/4 socket ring main [ 1 Answers ]

:) hi you all,I have a test coming up and have to build a 2way 2way lighting circuit with a 4 socket ring main.im after a detailed drawing to down load and keep.also I'm after the actual formula for calculating current carrying capacity of a cable.regards scandal

Can I convert a main breaker Cutler Hammer loadcenter to main lug? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Cutler Hammer made a part to convert a main breaker load center (CH) style, to a main lug panel. If so, does anyone know the part number or can you refer me to a location where I could find it? Cutler Hammer's website is not too user friendly. Thanks

320 amp meter socket line wire [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new service with two meter panels. One 320 amp meter socket and one 200 amp meter socket. The 320 amp is a 400 amp socket panel with a disconect (two 200 amp breakers). What size of line in from the transformer wire do I need? It's a typical 3 wire, single phase service. Does...

Type of socket to use for 30 amp breaker [ 2 Answers ]

I have completely wired my workshop with 20 amp breakers using 12 ga wire. I now want to add 30 amp breakers for 240 vac. I will use 10 ga wire but I am not sure on what socket to use. I am planning to use an air compressor which requires 240VAC and pulls 15 amps. However, I also would like to...

View more questions Search