Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stevienicks1985 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2008, 10:05 AM
    A poem for Valentine's Day.
    So I am blowing off the old dust and trying to get the juices flowing to write a romantic poem for my sweetie for Valentine's Day. I want to express all the reasons I love him and let him know all the hidden emotions I have been withholding. Yet I keep getting stuck. I have written down all the things I love about him just to help me along and I just keep rambling to no avail. Anyone have any helpful hints?
    Princess-IMYM Posts: 239, Reputation: 6

Feb 6, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Write a couplet? (sp?)
    Make the ending rhym, that's the easiest.
    Or look at some other poems and get ideas. :)
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Feb 6, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Rhyming is easy, rhyming words at the end of a sentence that makes sense is imo a little harder. Like if you ended one sentence with orange... doh! Anyway, what I do when I write is I get my paper and pen, throw on the sappiest music (loud) and sing along. I write down the sentences that come to mind, and if it sounds good I try and add the next etc etc. If it doesn't work, or it's not doing what you want, I just scratch it (unless I'm saving it for another poem later) and start over till I get what I want.

My 2 cents though :)
    Cheshire2008 Posts: 74, Reputation: 17

Feb 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
    I am a really good poem writer but it just kind of comes to me
    Try to read some poems but if you Google How to write a poem there are several sites to help try
    How to Write a Love Poem - wikiHow
    However A love letter is just as effective
    If that doesn't work steal other peoples poetry Remember it's the thoght that counts
    Stevienicks1985 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Thanks everyone for your time & advice. I did end up with a fairly good poem. Hopefully it will spark some emotion & let him know he's appreciated & loved.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Your idea reminds me of Franklin McCormick, a DJ years ago on a Chicago all-night radio station, who read love poetry with his amazing voice -- "I love you because of who you are--and who I am when I am with you.''
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Oo... that was "not only for WHAT you are, but for WHAT you are making in me."

Sorry about that - but you can't edit greenies! :)

About the poem - to the OP: I'm sooo glad you wrote a beautiful poem!

When I sit down to write I love to simply let my soul pour out through my fingers... I don't know how it happens, but I always end up with a beautiful verse - sometimes, its just for me... sometimes it turns out being for someone I didn't think it was for.. . others its for just the person it was intended for. :)

(Did that all make sense? It made sense in my head :) )
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
    HC -- I found it --

"I love you" by Roy Croft:

I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you, not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you, for the part of me that you bring out. I love you, for putting your hand into my heaped-up heart, and passing over all the foolish, weak things that you can't help dimly seeing there, and for drawing out, into the light, all the beautiful belongings that no one else had looked quite far enough to find. I love you, because you have done more than any creed could have done to make me good, and more than any fate could have done to make me happy. You have done it without a touch, without a word, without a sign. You have done it by being yourself.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:54 PM
    YESSSSSS!!

You da BOMB, girl!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

That part - 'for putting your hand into my heaped-up heart, and passing over all the foolish weak things that you can't help seeing there... "

Thank you SO much!
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Feb 7, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Wow that is great, simply great :)
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Feb 17, 2008, 04:08 AM
    That was great attempt, I think you can keep tyring and come up with more pieces master pieces as this one.

Good one in a string..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Valentine's day [ 7 Answers ]

I've known my boyfriend for about 5 years and I've been in a relationship with him for 2 years. I want to get him something for valentine's day but I'm not sure what. Last year I got him a CD and he said that only he should be giving me a present. What is the tradition anyway? Does the guy...

What Should I Get Him On Valentine's Day? [ 5 Answers ]

Well... Valentine is pretty close now and am very lost I totally don't know what to get him I need your help ! He's A Punk Head so what the heck am I supposed to get my darling?:D

What Should I Get Him On Valentine's Day? [ 1 Answers ]

Well... Valentine is pretty close now and am very lost I totally don't know what to get him I need your help ! He's A Punk Head so what the heck am I supposed to get my darling?:D

Valentine's Day [ 1 Answers ]

What does he like? One of my favorite gifts to get is a gift card. I have gotten one from Barnes & Noble, Lowe's, Home Depot, Gift card to the movies, Best Buy. It's lots of fun because I can get what I want. If he likes tools: gift card to Lowes/Home Depot. If he likes movies or books: Barnes...

View more questions Search