Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kafu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Senior Persons' Blood Glucose Levels
    Hello, I would like to ask is there a difference in blood glucose levels for the elderly and adults? I have heard that the blood glucose levels should be 6-10 for elderly. Is this the case? And why is it so? I have a friend who is 74 years old and he has a constant blood glucose level that fluctuates between 7.5 - 8.5. Is this normal?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Blood glucose levels should be between 70 and 110 for any age.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 07:17 PM
    J9: Wrong units. I think we are talking about mmol/L rather than mg/dl which is the US system. This translates to about 121 mg/dl to 137 mg/dl.

It's probably not constant. You need to look at two values:
    1) Fasting
    2) 2 hours after a meal.

fasting will be lower. They are good numbers for 2 hours after a meal.

80 mg/dl is about 4.4 mmol/L plasma which is a good fasting plasma level.

Remember you can read plasma or whole blood values. Plasma is about 1.12 times the value of whole blood.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Thank you for clearing that up. In the hospital our monitors measure in mg/dl, that is what I was going by.

Feb 6, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Thank you for the kind feedback. Yet, I have heard comments that for older people, the tolerance is a bit higher that goes from level 7 to 10. Is there any validity for this? While, I know many elderly who has diabetes is trying to keep their glucose level below 6, and that is not fasting. I have also heard certain doctors recommend the best level for elderly is 10, because they say the functionality of the brain, especially on the memory department, could be compromise! That is why I find it a bit confusing as to what would be the optimum level for them.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Optimal level is not a "one size fits all" especially on the low end. I look at it this way. Lows can make you die quickly. Highs cause you to die more slowly.

At the low end, a person may not be able to function, That is their low limit.

Minimize the high spikes by paying attention to foods that have high glycemic indexes.

Don't pay extreme attention to the numbers.

Feb 7, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Thanks again for further clarifying the issue. Just for reference sake, if I have a friend who is 74 years of age, male, and his average glucose level in the morning is between 7 and 8, what would you recommend him to do? He is not on the pill. Would you then say he is on the "safe" side, or is he pushing it? He kept on telling me that for a person his age, his reading should be below 6 and I often doubt if that is true.

By the way, would you mind me asking what is your background that puts you in such a unique position to know so much about this issue?

Thanks again for your time and input.
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
    6 is about 108 mg/dl. Getting that lower is a good thing.

The smart docs will start with metformin/glucophage. That drug is weird and has to be started slowly.

Any number of things are possible, but the usual is to start getting the fasting value lower.
    Sensitizers are a good place the start.

I have insulin dependent type II diabetes.

I take Metformin at night (usually it's supposed to be taken with food). I also take glyburide/diabeta at night (again this is usually taken with food).

Liver dump occurs at about 4 am for some people. Metformin at night can help. Glyburide does have a peak/steady concentration, but I forget off the top of my head when the peak occurs. That's why I can take it at night instead of a long acting Insulin like lantus.

Use sensitizers.
    Attack fasting first.
    Then levels 1-2 hours after a meal.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 08:09 PM
    I am type 2 as well. I take l and l/2 metformin a day normally l/2 in the morning after breakfast and l at night. I am not insulin dependent. The rule of thumb for blood glucuse level is 7 before eating and 8 after. I don't test mine every morning because its pretty stable and measures about 6 when I do.

I am 65 so as far as a 74 year old goes there is no hard and fast rule what their level should be. If he is in good health, no high cholesterol, no hypertension he should be reading same as me but 7 is okay. To be on the safe side, he should see his doctor and have fasting blood work done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood sugar levels [ 3 Answers ]

What are your blood sugar levels supposed to be during pregancy

Biochemistry standard curve for glucose [ 1 Answers ]

How do u do the following haven't got a clue how to do these:confused Glucose micrograms/ml absorbance 620nm 0 0.035; 0.028 10 ...

Weird Blood Sugar Levels [ 13 Answers ]

I was diagnosed pre-diabetic last year. My 2 hour GTT was 187 mg. I was not told what to do, so when I had symptoms of hypoglycemia, I ate sugar. My symptoms are Shakiness, Lighted head, Sweaty, Irritable, Vision blurry and darker, Hearing decrease, Nervousness, Confusion. Eating lots of sugar...

Average glucose levels in blood [ 0 Answers ]

I am looking for a table containing average glucose blood levels of different populations (ages etc.), if possible not only the means but also the standard deviations.

View more questions Search