Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gurvi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 05:22 AM
    Child care expense credit ffor a resident alien child with ITIN
    Hi,
    I am a resident alien on a J1 (do not get W2) while my husband is on J2 and gets W2. Can I claim child care expense credit for my resident alien son who has a ITIN?
    I was wondering this since I might not qualify for earned income but my husband income does, can we claim the child care expense credit or not?
    THanks for all your help in advance.
    G
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 08:45 AM
    If you file Married Filing Jointly, it does not matter if one of the spouse does not have any income. Yes, if you are filing resident return, then you will get all the credits that are available to the residents.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
    If you are attending training or classes at a higher learning institution (community college or higher), then, yes, you CAN claim the Child Care Credit, even if you are filing as a non-resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child / Dependent Care Credit - H1/H4 Status [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the US on an H1, and my spouse in on an H4. We have a 3-year old daughter who is a US citizen. We send her to a private pre-school that costs quite a bit of money. Can this amount be claimed under the Child / Dependent Care credit ? Thanks

ITIN for J2 resident alien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I came to US on a J1 in 2004 and became a resident alien for filing 2006 taxes. My son, came with me as a J2 and hence is a resident alien too. However, when I applied for his ITIN, his application was rejected because of the tax treaty b/w India and US. To what I know, that treaty holds good...

Child care expense deduction [ 1 Answers ]

The other husband spouse claims another son as dependent. But, that son's most of expenses paid by the mother filing as head of household, even though not claiming him under her return. Can this son's expenses be considered by mother as qualifying expense for deduction? The expenses are cpvered...

Applying for ITIN for spouse while filing taxes & Child tax credit exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am aftab and my wife and kid joined me in 2006, as they are on H4 they are not eligible for a SSN so I need to apply for an ITIN. Please explain the process as to Should I be sending my returns filled in manually along with the application for ITIN for my spouse and kid? Will the...

Resident or non-resident alien child? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a peculiar problem that is unanswered after 3 days of searching online. I am a resident alien in the US, and my wife and son joined me on a dependent H-4 visa on November 19,2005. My son was born earlier on in the year outside the country. So, my question is, can my baby...

View more questions Search