Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Feb 5, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Microsoft XP Media Centre Died On Me!
    Hello all,

So, long story short, I bought a Sony Vaio laptop with MS XP MCE 2005 on it...

Did I make a restore CD? No, because I'm an idiot!

Has my laptop broken? Yes!

Does the Vaio restore partition work? No, it's rubbish!

Can Sony Support help? No, they're as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

So, I was wanting to do a complete re-install of MCE, but I don't have the disk! I do however have the license on the bottom of my laptop!

Could anyone suggest where I could get a copy of MCE?

Cheers

J
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Put an add on craigslist.org.

Post what you are looking for if you can't find it for sale.

I'm sure someone out there would be willing to loan you or sell you an OS disc as long as you have the product code.

Good Luck.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 10:15 PM
    It may not work as if the PC came with mce pre installed, that # will not work on another copy of and mce install disc, you would need to get a copy of the install disk with priduct id with it

Feb 9, 2008, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83
    it may not work as if the pc came with mce pre installed, that # will not work on another copy of and mce install disc, you would need to get a copy of the install disk with priduct id with it
    Yeah, that was my worry, as each laptop manufacturer seems to have a different "type" of MCE.

I thought it would be worth a try if I could get a free copy of the disc though! :p

Would I not run the same risk though, even if I brought a brand new copy of MCE? :confused:
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Yes, if it was preinstalled.

Feb 9, 2008, 09:27 PM
    I read on the Vaio forums that you could force a change of the PID (product ID?) of each MCE CD, so that it would then accept your license.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Post back if all works well, curious.

Feb 9, 2008, 09:58 PM
    You can have a look at the process here if you have time and let me know what you reckon?

I can't download the .pdf or .doc on this computer as it's locked down at the moment, so it's going to have to wait from my end for now!

Also the forums suggested speaking to Sony directly and getting a copy from them, but their support sucks! Ha ha!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Vista, Microsoft office 2007, Microsoft equation 3.0 [ 5 Answers ]

I have Microsoft Vista which I do not think really makes that much of a difference but I have Microsoft Office 2007 and I need to use Microsoft equation 3.0. I know I have it on my computer because I found it. I just don't know how to use it. I have taken a couple of tutorials and still can not...

Microsoft xp home edition and Microsoft xp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know how I can delete one of it so that I am able to use one properly. When I was re-installing XP home edition, I couldn't delete the partition (C) which contained another XP. Now I have two and thus a little bit confused. Can anyone help me with providing some...

Name for centre [ 4 Answers ]

My family (we live in Australia) are thinking of starting/ buying a child care centre and are looking for a catchy name like here are some name of already child care centre names We want something like these Sesame Lane ABC Learning Centre Tadpols Little Diggers

Win XP Media Centre '05 registry stop error [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. Reacently built my own PC, had everything working fine until I messed with settings for my cpu. Now whenever I try and boot I get the message STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000001, 0xE11B42D0, 0x00AC0200, 0x000001D6) I've tried all the different booting options...

View more questions Search