Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starrviolet Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Feb 5, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Gestational Diabetes Test?
    M taking my gestational diabetes test tomorrow... IMy doctor told me I need to fast. But if Imy appointment is at 2:45PM tolorrow when should I start fasting?
    I'm a little freaked about the test. I know every mother has to take it, but type 2 diabetes runs on both sides of my family so I don't know if this increases my chances
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Why on earth did they schedule a pregnant woman for a fast test in the afternoon? This should have been scheduled for first thing in the morning. If you feel you can't wait until 2:45PM I would suggest you call them first thing and tell them that you want a different appointment preferably the first one of the day.

The fact that diabetes is on both sides of your family gives good indication that you have it as well. Don't freak out. This should be easily controlled with your diet. It is a common thing so don't be upset.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 10:04 AM
    OK, they should have told you how long you needed to fast for. However, you definitely don't need to fast all morning, that would make you terribly sick. Basically, I think its 2 hours before you drink the juice (I'm guessing they didn't give it to you to take home, so you'll be takign it at the office) that you don't eat or drink anything. (some doctors allow small sips of water, but not much) once you drink the sugary drink, then you will be asked to wait one more hour, and then they will draw your blood. After that you are free to eat and drink as much as you like. The test itself isn't bad. I personally don't much care for the drink. Its basically just like drinking really sweet orange pop. I hate pop hah, so that's why I really don't care for it, but I think most women are okay with it. There's nothing to worry about. If they do find out that you have diabetes issues, then they will simply help you understand how to change your diet etc, to help you and baby stay healthy for the remainder of the pregnancy. If you fail the test the first time, its not nescisarily bad news, they will repeat the test (I think the fast is a bit longer the second time?) and then sometimes they find that the first test was a fluke, and you are just fine. Either way, good luck, and let us know. I suggest that you call your doctor to check on the fasting times etc.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 6, 2008, 12:28 PM
    I know when I took mine I didn't have to fast. I took the one hour test, if you are taking the three hour test then you have to fast. The nurse told me to just be careful what I ate that day. For example, no simple sugars or simple carbs because it could effect the results to the test. I was so worried that something I would eat would effect the test that I just ate some scrabbled eggs that day before having the test.
    I would call your doctor and ask about the fasting. If it is the one hour test you shouldn't have to fast (at least I didn't). If you are suppose to fast I would recommend changing the appointment. I know that if I had to go a majority of the day without eating or drinking I would get sick.
    The test itself is not bad at all. I thought the drink tasted good (I have a sweet tooth). The worst part was sitting around for an hour to wait to get my blood drawn. Best of luck!

Feb 8, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Well I called my Dr that day as soon as her office opened and they said that I didn't have to fast:) Just to stay away from anyhting sugary or too many carbs.. The drink wasn't all that bad and when I had to wait for an hour I walked over to the hospital (accross the street) with my husband and we registered at the hospital for having the baby and found out about touring the birthing center also, so the wait was okay because I got a lot accomplished:)
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Glad to hear that everything went well. I am also glad you called the doctor office instead of trying to fast. When I had mine done they wouldn't let me leave the waiting room so it is a good thing they let you walk across and register at the hospital. Best of luck with the results I am sure it will turn out just fine.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Yes, its nice that they let you run and do other things besides just sitting there and waiting. I had to wait with my first one. With the second one, my doctor gave me the drink to take home with me in a sealed bottle at my last appointment before I was suppose to take the test. So it just sat in my fridge for several weeks, then I followed the directions on that lable, waited at home for an hour, and went into the office. SO much better then sitting at the office.

Feb 14, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Yeah definitely better than sitting at the office! You can only read those magazines so many times!
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Hah, so true. And the shows they have on the tvs (if they have one) are usually terrible too hah
    TCHRbyTrade Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 01:02 PM

I am 10 weeks along and on Monday I took the glucose test too. They told me not to eat or drink anything after 11pm on Sunday. I went in at 8:30 on Monday morning. However, I still have not heard anything about the results. I called the nurse today and she said that it could take up to 5 days to get the results, that seems like so long. Diabetes does not run in either mine nor my husbands family (until this year his dad was diagnosed with diabetes). I am however overweight. Just waiting for results and hoping they are good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gestational sac with no fetal pole [ 2 Answers ]

My question is about a gestational and yolk sac with no fetal pole. I am about 4 weeks pregnant. My hcg level was at 7,000. Ive had 2 ultrasounds because they thought with the first one I had an ectopic pregnancy, she could only see the yolk sac. But that was ruled out. My question is, when should...

Do I have diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

What are the best signs to determine whether you have diabetes? It runs in my family and I don't know what symptoms to be looking out for to determine if I do. I am worried that someday I'm going to end up in the hospital because I was unaware of the possibility that I may have diabetes. What...

Help With Diabetes [ 5 Answers ]

What would you recommend as a herbal help for controlling diabetes?

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

My father has diabetes and wants some home made fudge... I make the fantasy fudge by kraft and have all the ingredients I have exchanged the sugar for splenda, I found some sugar free marshmallow dip (hope it works:o ) the only thing that Im not sure is instead of the semi sweet chocolate chips I...

View more questions Search