Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CandleQueen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Buyer wanting to sell house while in a Contract for Deed
    :confused: I spent 2 months waiting for the buyer of my home to get his loan, then he wasn't approved. Now I'm 2 months behind on my mortgage, am facing the dreaded 90 past due (and foreclosure) without any time to get a new buyer to get money to the mortgage company.
    So I decided to do a Contract for Deed to the same guy who wasn't approved. I figured, "Hey, he thought he was ready to move there and was going to buy it, so now he's just buying it from me", right? So we finally agree on a payment amount and then he tells me that he's just letting me know that in a couple of years, he's going to be selling my house - that his kids will be out of the house and he won't need a 4 bedroom house anymore. I was stunned. Like he can sell MY house. Anyway, I acted like that was okay because I had to get the proper verbiage to tell him that he won't be able to sell MY house, that the money he will have put into it is mine because it is MY house still. So I just want to verify that what I think is accurate, that he won't be able to sell MY house when he doesn't own it and the mortgage is in my name, right? I guess I need to know my options at that point and to let him know up front what I will do when it comes to that before we go into this contract for deed. Can anyone help?? I'm just trying to save what I've already got invested in this deal and not loose my house to foreclosure. Thanks.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 09:24 PM
    If he pays you off from the proceeds from the sale, I would think that would be acceptable. It would depend on the wording of the contract. You wouldn't lose money on the deal if it is set up properly. He could not sell it until he completes the contract with you to make it his own property. Have a lawyer draw up the paperwork to be safe. They will know more about percentages of equity that might entitle the buyer to more rights. Think of yourself as the bank, and a buyer can't sell until they pay off the bank.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Feb 7, 2008, 12:10 PM
    While you hold TITLE to the property your BUYER has EQUITABLE title and he can sell it and pay off whatever balance is owed to you... otherwise, he would be a tenant... you did the smart thing and if/when he wants to sell, have your attorney check for your options on pay out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax implications of a contract for deed for buyer and seller [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am looking to purchase a primary residence on a contract for deed basis. My understanding is that I, as the purchaser, would be able to write off the interest I pay on my yearly taxes. My question is, can the seller continue to write off the interest he is paying on the mortgage he...

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

Lanlord wanting to sell house with current lease agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently in a Residential lease until August 2008. I just received word from landlord that she will be putting residence up for sale in one or two months. Can she do so while the lease is still in effect? What are my rights? She is giving me the option to purchase; however I have no...

Sell My House, Then Buy It Back Contract for Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who offered to buy my house, to help me avoid bankruptcy, then sell it back to me contract for deed all in the same transaction. Is that legal? If yes, what needs to be done to guarantee I get my house back, and my friend is not stuck with it?

Selling a House that is under Contract for Deed [ 5 Answers ]

What a great site for information, I hope that others don't mind giving me their insight on our situation... I have spoken with my attorney and gotten his opinion, but like everything there are 3 ways usually to do one thing. We bought a house 3 years ago from friends of my inlaws with a...

View more questions Search