Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ineedapinch Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Gift Situation
    My b/f and I have been together over 8 years, own our own home, have a beautiful 3 year old daughter and have found out another is on the way. We've decided to make everything official and get married. We plan on having a small courthouse union and then send out announcements of our marriage.

Will people feel obligated to send gifts after receiving the announcement? We don't need anything and really want to avoid this whole situation. Mentioning anything on the marriage announcements seems kind of tacky but I don't know what to do.

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
    It's not taky to do this. If you feel so inclined that a lot of people will send you presents that you don't want, then do this. In a lot of instances loving family and friends will want to send you a present as they are thrilled that you tied the knot. I say don't say anything as you probably have a lot of loving friends and family out there and telling them not to give you a gift is a rebuff to them and their generosity.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Feb 5, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Congratulations, first of all. I wish you and your children and fiancé the best. It would be entirely appropriate to send an announcement out with perhaps a photo from the wedding day... no need for fancy wedding clothes or anything, just a family picture.

As for the gift issue, I think it's become so popular for people to say what they want for gifts, now people who don't want gifts or are afraid of coming off as greedy feel they have to do the opposite and say what they do not want!

In my opinion, the classiest thing is to share your news and leave it at that. Don't mention gifts at all. If you receive one, send a thank you note immediately and make it sincere. If you hate it or it's something you don't want or need, that's one of the things you keep within the marriage!

Certainly we haven't reached a point where we have to hide our good news so we won't be viewed as soliciting gifts and cash, have we? And it sounds like you've waited a long time, are not trying to be a bridezilla princess... I'm guessing people may feel you are deserving of a little attention. Enjoy it.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 09:10 PM
    I have seen one case where two older professionals were getting married and already had two households to combine... Their announcement stated something along the lines of "In lieu of gifts, your warmest wishes for our happiness are preferred"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

$ Wedding Gift $ [ 16 Answers ]

My sister is getting married very soon. She and her fiancé have suggested that guests give a gift in the form of a donation of money towards their honeymoon, as they have already been living together for some years and are all set up. (They made this suggestion on the invitations in a most polite...

Gift ideas [ 5 Answers ]

I need ideas on what to get my because for christmas he is 24 and car mad and fishing mad I need ideas if you have any?

Do I have my grandmothers gift [ 1 Answers ]

I was told by a palm reader who was right about everything else that I would devlope my "powers" by 35 but I am not so sure, I have no special powers that I know of. My grandmother I am told was a white witch but I did not know her. I am a normal religious person and have many questions about all...

Gift of money [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received a gift from a family member in the amount of $20,000.00. It wasn't technically an inheritance, because the money from the sale of the house of the deceased went ot her and she wrote a check to us. So it was a gift. What should I know before depositing it into my account? Since...

Is this an OK gift? [ 8 Answers ]

My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and...

View more questions Search