Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nethajij Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 12:49 PM
    401K or Roth 401K
    Hai,

I am an Indian, presently working for a USA company. I will be in US for next 2-3 years and then I will return back to my country. My employer gave the option to enroll for 401K plan or Roth 401k or a combination of both. And the employer matches my contribution at the rate of 50cents on a dollar.

I do not want to keep my money in these accounts till I reach 59.5 yrs old. I am aware of the 10% penalty of early withdrawal of 401k money + taxes. I guess this is the same case with Roth 401k as well for early withdrawal. Right?

I opted for the combination (401k and Roth 401k) last year and have been funding (contributed 15000$ total last year) the account since then. But I always have the confusion whether I should have gone for only 401k or only Roth 401k. Reason: If I am going to pay taxes for both funds for early withdrawal, why not go for only 401k option, with which I get at least tax benefits during the funding period.

Which one is good for my case? Please advice.

Also,

* is it possible to transfer the money to Indian based IRA account?
    * or is it not worth contributing to a retirement account at all for my case?

Appreciate your time and help.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
    It is possible that the 401K will grow enough to offset the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

However, if you are willing to tranfers the money to a Indian-based IRA account, why NOT do the same for a U.S.-based IRA? It beats all to hell the cost of the early withdrawal.

As for the ROTH 401K, you can withdraw what YOU put it in tax-free, but you will pay a penalty if you withdraw the earnings or the match.
    nethajij Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Thanks a lot, ATE. This clarifies my doubts.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tricky - 401k vs Roth when potentially moving overseas (non US citizen) [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, First of all, kudos to everybody answering questions in this forum. It is great to get such quality advice for free. Here my question: I am a German national working here in the US (green card application currently filed). Me and my fiancé are thinking about moving to Germany...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

401k into Roth IRA for foreign nationals [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on an H1-B and switched employers recently. The new employer has a 403b contribution plan and will not let me mix funds from my 401k. First of all, do I have to be a permanent resident or a US citizen in order to open an IRA account? (Single and under the 110k limit) If I can in fact have an...

401k ? [ 2 Answers ]

I asked this question maybe I was not clear enough. I withdrew my 401k when I lived and worked in NY. Later in the year I moved to PA and took a job in NJ. I have to file taxes in all 3 states do I have to claim that 401k money as income in all 3 states? I have not seen this type of multi state...

401k to Roth IRA [ 3 Answers ]

I am an italian citizen who worked in the US for 5 years on a H1-B visa. I will be going back to Italy for good at the end of March 2006 and I want to rollover my 401k to a Roth IRA (through a direct rollover IRA). The amount in the 401k is around $40,000. My income for 2005 was $49,000. If I...

View more questions Search