Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:32 PM
    For you consideration
    Quote,

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it a home."

Edward R. Murrow

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is perhaps the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. The loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or imagined, from abroad."

-- James Madison

Does this sound like what is happening now?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:59 PM
    This is exactly what is happening now. If say, Russia or China wanted to invade this country now, just WHO would be here to defend the US? Just about everyone military wise and just about all of the planes, humvees, tanks, etc are not here guarding us like they used to years ago. It would be child's play to invade the US now for any standing army like the ones Russia or China has at present.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 01:12 PM
    I don't think we are anywhere near deciding on whether it is to be "The ballot or the bullet."

I once heard a story about a Cuban businessman who escaped Castro and one of the listeners commented, “We don't know how lucky we are." And the Cuban stopped and said, "How lucky you are? I had someplace to escape to." That sentence told us the entire story. If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Dark - what illusion? I've figured out the game plan years ago. Good old Madison figured out the game back in the 1800's.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Dark - what illusion? I've figured out the game plan years ago. Good old Madison figured out the game back in the 1800's.
    The illusion that America is unprotected and that some country can simply drive their boats up, unload their troops and take over America. :eek:
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 03:55 AM
    What freedoms have you lost ?

Funny thing... Madison fought a war of choice against the British in 1812. His mentor Jefferson thought conquering Canada would be "a mere matter of marching." Both talked a good game about isolation ;but when Jefferson was offered the opportunity to more than double the size of the country he jumped at it and to hell with what the Constitution said.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Does this sound like what is happening now?
    Hello yet:

Yup.

excon
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 07:31 AM
    The problem is, most folks refuse to see the inconsistency in worrying about the loss of freedom in the US, and raising taxes to pay for goofy social programs, as well as universal education and health care. At this point, the US military is not large enough to occupy the US, much less Iraq. It is when the big government guys come out and advocate for universal conscription, etc. that you better keep the powder dry. Have you heard anyone ask Hillary or Hillary Light what they believe about the draft? I haven't; and I would like to know.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    The problem is, most folks refuse to see the inconsistency in worrying about the loss of freedom in the US, and raising taxes to pay for goofy social programs
    Hello again, George:

Not me. Tyranny from the right or the left makes no difference. Are you suggesting is less tyrannical to take your money to subsidize the farmers?

What have YOU been smoking, George?

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 08:05 AM
    I particularly dislike fascists who give to the farmers, and many others, and they call themselves 'liberal'. I don't like anyone taking my money or your money, for that matter.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    I particulary dislike fascists who give to the farmers, and many others, and they call themselves 'liberal'. I don't like anyone taking my money for that matter
    Hello again, George:

I agree about the money thing... It's your labels that I'm having trouble with. See, the guy giving all the dough away to the farmers and the insurance companies and the pharmaceutical companies calls himself a "conservative". He's the dufus in chief.

Oh, I agree, in terms of the economy, he's LIBERAL, but he don't call himself that.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 09:08 AM
    You see, excon, the politicians are trying to communicate with the voters through the press, sort of like running a sewerage system uphill. One must approach 'the news' with maturity, an appreciation of history, and not excessively 'cherry-pick'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does child support take into consideration rental losses? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm heading into mediation to address some issues with child support and other costs. The child support calculators ask me to enter my gross income. I assume this is before taxes, but what about rental real estate losses? I make a salary at my full time job, but have two properties that rent out...

Job consideration [ 8 Answers ]

A company is considering me for some at home work on data entry and typing. They say I will get $15.00 for every project I complete, giving me a projected salary of $500.00 per week. How can I get in contact with someone to find out if this is legit? Here is one of the Q & A's from the email...

Insufficient consideration [ 5 Answers ]

Insufficient consideration

Doctrine of Consideration [ 1 Answers ]

To which extent the doctrine of consideration remains a necessary element of English Law

Consideration to design 1 deg. C CHW supply DCS. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, buddy.. I'm new here, I have though problem, since my bos ask me to design a 40,000RT district cooling plant (DCS) which supply temp. 1 deg.C. and return 13 deg. C. What I plan to do is using 2 centrifugal chillers with series position to achieve 1 deg.C. its possible.. what is the...

View more questions Search