Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sean92128 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2008, 11:24 AM
    John mcCain's appearance
    The apparent lump or mass on McCain's face//neck left side... is that a pow leftover, just "fatness" or some kind of a medical issue?

Thanks in advance

Sean
    :confused:
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 11:56 AM
    I cannot say which injury it was but he had major injuries twice in his naval career .

The first time was from a misfiring of a missile from a nearby jet on the carrier Forrester hit McCain's plane at the fuel tanks . McCain crawled out of his jet and jumping into the fire on the deck .Then rolled through the fireball .He then tried to save his fellow pilot but was blown back 10 feet by additional detonations . In all ;134 men were killed in the incident and 20 planes were destroyed before the fire was contained. It was the worst non-combat related accident in USN history .

McCain survived ,and then volunteered to continue his service.

The incident surrounding his time as a POW is even more heroic. He was on his 23rd bombing sorte 3 months after the Forrester incident when a Soviet SAM struck his plane taking off the right wing. He ejected but the force of the ejection broke both his arms and his kneecap . He was unconscious but came to as he plunged into a lake near his target . A mob gathered .The dragged him out of the lake ;broke his shoulder with a rifle butt and repeatedly bayonetted him. He was put in a truck and thrown into the Hanoi Hilton to die.

His condition deteriorated and he would've dies except for the ministry of his fellow POWs . A few months after his capture his father ,Adm Jack McCain ,was named commander of the Pacific . Now the N Vietnamese realized they had a propaganda tool in their possession. He was tortured ;finally broke and gave a "confession" .
    The North Vietnamese offered him early release . He refuse citing a code of conduct that said POWs should be released in the order they were captured. He was again beaten for this defiance. In all he spent 51/2 years in the Hanoi Hilton. He rehabbed and again regained flight status.

I have not found any evidence of facial injuries during this time but it would not surprise me that he sustained injuries of that kind during the beatings he took.
    sean92128 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Tomder,

You are my hero... thanks

Sean
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Hello sean:

Although he has many war injuries, like he can't lift his arms, but the thing on his cheek is what's left over from a skin cancer.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Ex

True ;his melanoma was on his left temple and arms .
    shmanagi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2013, 03:15 PM
    @tomder, excon, and especially sean. Please read the article at this link. 44 - Doctor Explains McCain's Appearance

For although the cancer was in MaCain's face, facial surgery, and especially cancer complicated ones, require a lot of difficult work. The swollen appearance of his neck is from his melanom
    shmanagi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2013, 03:19 PM
    @ sean, excon, tomder: 44 - Doctor Explains McCain's Appearance
    The lump on his neck is from the surgery done to his face to rid him of the melanoma, but also done to avoid it spreading. Please read the article. Propaganda even when positive is dangerous and in this case a blatant mistruth. This lump is not a war injury, if so, it would have been since he had come back from the war. Since 2000 (fir.)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2013, 03:22 PM
    Hello s:

The question was from 5 years ago. Nobody cares..

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court date appearance [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was charged with possession of stole property under 5000, my first offence. My court date is coming up and when I talked to my lawyer he told me that I did not need to go to court and he would represent me. He hasn't even received the discharge yet. But I am wondering if it would look better...

Court Appearance [ 2 Answers ]

How can I find out if someone has a court appearance today? And if I can then what information do I need?

Why is she being so concerned about my appearance [ 3 Answers ]

My g/f has been trying to change my style for some time now. She complains that I never wear anything preppy or casual. She feels the only way that I would benefit from her actions is for her to lay out my clothes. She feels that the only way she could do this without me putting up an argument is...

Sudden father appearance [ 2 Answers ]

So my ex-boyfriend left me when I was 20 weeks pregnant because I refused an abortion. His name is not on her birth certificate. Our daughter is now 2 1/2 years old. He wants to see her and take her out (at his convenience). We do not have a cusody order or visitation schedule in place yet. I...

New appearance [ 2 Answers ]

I am a young man. To participate in an special ceremony, I want to change my appearance to a young lady. How can I do this, step by step and what tip is good for me? You can see my pic too. Thank you

View more questions Search