Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pseudoidentity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Private party used car seller, responsible for smog?
    Am I responsible for the smog on a private party used car sell? I let them know up front it needs a tune up.. and that smog wasn't due until October. Aren't private party used car sells.. as is? Im in California.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 03:55 AM
    If you tell the people you sell it to it has the problem and it is in writing in their paper work that it has the problem you should be okay. If the car is over 10 year and If you sell the car for under $1,000. Or well under the Kelly Blue book as is value New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site
    is even more to your advantage proving it is as is because most cars under a thousand ARE as is. You can check the
    Also they can't come back months later after they purchased the vehicles claiming damage was pre existing to the purchase.
    Often people try to say "Lemon Law" when somebody says they bought a bad car but the Lemon Law has exemption rules which generally include
    As is
    If the car is over 10 year
    If you sell the car for under $1,000.
    private owner
    if they wait (I think over a month or more) to make a complaint.

If you did not disclose the problem (or it is a he said/she said thing) then you may have problems but any of the above things should be on your side

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a return policy on selling used car to private party [ 2 Answers ]

What is California law on selling a used car to a private party? Is there 3 day recession policy or once it is sold no returns.

California private party used car law [ 2 Answers ]

When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.

Buying used car from private seller [ 14 Answers ]

What can you do if you bought a car from a private seller, then the next day the cars engine blows..

I would like to know if the seller should be responsible? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased an older renovated home last year and I had major cracks (vertically and horizontally) throughout one of my rooms. I can also see that the floor is sinking. Looking closely I can tell that this had happened before and that it was patched up and never mentioned. The neighbour mentioned...

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

View more questions Search