Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poshpa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 05:54 PM
    1993 toyota camry won't start
    I just bought a 1993 camry le 4 cyc- I degreased the engine cause it was dirty and ever since then it won't start. I know the spark plugs had gotten wet , so I took a compresser blew all of them out then removed all the plugs and let it all dry out for two days even blew it out before I replaced the plugs. I bought new plugs new distrubtorcap and rotor and new plug wires- STILL Doesn't START- WHEN I REMOVE THE CAP THE ROTORS MOVES WHEN I TURN THE KEY SO ITS NOT THE TIMING BELT PLUS IT WAS JUST REPLACED- I HAVE SPARK BUT TO ME IT Doesn't SEEEM THAT STRONG. I KNOW ITS GETTING GAS Cause I CAN SMELL IT AND WHEEN THE PLUGS Aren't IN I CAN SEE THE GAS GOING INTO THE CRANK . I AM STUMPED AND RUN OUTA SOLUTIONS.. ANYBODY HAVE ANY INSIGHT ON WHAT THIS COULD BE. THANKS
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 08:18 AM
    You may have gotten water into the engine harness or the igniter. You may need to open each connector and make certain they are all dry.
    Weak spark is likely due to a weak ignition coil. Replace the ignition coil and ignition condenser as a set.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Ditto on the ign coil. It's the case of the straw that broke the camel's back.
    Not that big a job. Buy an OEM coil
    poshpa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 09:35 AM
    I check the spark again and its strong.. do you think its possible that the timing belt slipped a tooth or two. Because I have gas.. I have spark... everything is dry now I have new plugs new wires, cap and rotor. The timing belt is only a few months old but someone told me that they think the timing belt is not as tight as it should be and that the tension bar might be worn out that keep the belt tight. Since I washed it water might cause it to slip and now the whole car is off time which is causing it to not start... does this make sense to anybody?
    fishin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 10:35 AM

I have 94 camry 4cyl with a no start condition no fire condition . I have ohmed the distributor and is within specs. Is it most likely the igniter that is the problem?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 10:37 AM

fishin, I would replace the ignitor and coil. My experience is that this should be done every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poshpa View Post
    i check the spark again and its strong.. do u think its possible that the timing belt slipped a tooth or two. because i have gas.. i have spark...everything is dry now i have new plugs new wires, cap and rotor. the timing belt is only a few months old but someone told me that they think the timing belt is not as tight as it should be and that the tension bar might be worn out that keep the belt tight. since i washed it water might casue it to slip and now the whole car is off time which is causing it to not start...does this make sense to anybody?
    Rarely, and I mean rarely, does a timing belt move a tooth when wet. What if it rained?
    As far as the tensioner is concerned, once the belt is indexed, the tensioner is tightened down and should not move. This isn't like a serpentine tensioner that is allowed to move with belt load (to compensate for engine accessory load). But, if you still feel that the problem is timing, remove the plugs (they may be gas soaked again from repeated cranking, so you may want to air it out some more... ) and the distributor cap. Rotate the engine until the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is aligned with the "Zero" mark on the front cover. The distributor rotor should be lined up with either the #1 or the #4 position on the cap.
    Where and how did you check for spark? Define "strong" spark. Is it blue and have a healthy SNAP at all plug wires?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 toyota camry won"t start [ 10 Answers ]

My 1993 toyota camry was running great and all of a sudden it just quit running. My preliminary test indicates that it is not getting spark to the plugs. How do I test the distributor, ignition coil, igniter, cap & rotor, etc. It is a 4 cylinder engine

My 1993 toyota camry won't start? [ 3 Answers ]

My camry will not engage the starter? I coulnt find a starter relay, or maybe I just don't know what relay controls it. The car will start if I turn the key on an touch the small lead on the starter with a 12+ jumper. The battery cranks the car over just fine which makes me think it's a relay, but...

1993 V6 Toyota Camry won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this car not running. It turns over fine, has fuel pressure if I jump B and FP at the diagnostic plug, has spark, has correct timing of cams and distributor, has voltage to the injectors, but I think it isn't getting the signal (pulsed ground) from the computer to tell the injectors...

1993 toyota camry won"t start [ 2 Answers ]

My 1993 toyota camry was running great and all of a sudden it just quit running. My preliminary test indicates that it is not getting spark to the plugs. How do I test the distributor, ignition coil, igniter, cap & rotor, etc.

1990 Toyota Camry (wont start) [ 1 Answers ]

My 1990 Camery won't start! Ive had the battery checked and just put in a new starter because it tested bad. When I turn the key all the lights come on on the dash. It's a 5 speed and runs great if I get a push and start it that way. I'm not sure how to check the ingnition, but was told that it...

View more questions Search