Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MARTHA92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Debt after Bankruptcy
    We filed bankruptcy and included our 1st and 2nd mortgage as a reaffirmation. Well my husband got laid off and we just didn't have the money to pay for the 2nd mortgage payment. The mortgage company notified us saying that the property did not have the value for foreclosure, but that our account was turned over to their recovery department. So they told us that we had to make some sort of payment arrangements or they would attach our wages. They listed the debt on our credit report as "included with Chapter 7 bankruptcy". Are they legally allowed to continue to incur interest charges? We will never be able to pay this debt off at that rate. What options do we have?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Bankruptcy
    The loan was not done away with in bankruptcy, you re-affirmed it, which means you agreed to keep this loan while not paying off everyone else.

So you are still bound to the terms of the loan. Since most likely you owe so much on the first mortgage that if they foreclosed and sold the house, only the first lender would get their money, they have little ability to collect unless you pay or they get a judgement against you.

Often in bankruptcy, you need to let the house go and start clean in a nice smaller rental to get a new start. But you believed you could keep the house.

Is he working now? If so are you now making the required monthly payments, if you are, ask them for a longer period to pay off the payments that are behind, they would rather have a plan to get the money than take you to court.

Now of course think of it this way, if it is hard to pay the bills now, how hard will it be if they get 25 percent of the paycheck and all the money in your bank account.

You may wish to talk to your bankruptcy attorney and see if he can help work a deal out with them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy or 401K to setle CC debt [ 4 Answers ]

We were barely making ends meet before my husband (40yrs old) lost his job of 14 years due to cutbacks. His OT was cutout entirely 3 years ago after a co. restructuring. We did take $5K out of his 401K a little while after he lost his job 6 months ago. He was unemployed for 3 months, then found a...

Big debt, Need to file bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I really need to file bankruptcy. I am not sure how to go about it or what chapter is right for me to file. I don't even know what I should ask a lawyer about. I will be getting married very soon and I don't want my debt to effect his good credit. We will be signing a prenupt but I really need...

Bankruptcy and Credit Card Debt [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I filed bankruptcy in March of 1999. It was discharged in March of 2000. Today I go a call from Zellers, saying I had to pay them $319.00, that I still owed. I was shocked, and told them I thought it was covered under our bankruptcy. They had no record of them being...

Bankruptcy & Debt [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations on debt? Can a creditor ask for repayment on something from 1992?

Bankruptcy, 401K & a lot of debt [ 6 Answers ]

I am sick at my stomach as I type this, and don't have anyone else that I can talk to about this. Here's the situation: My husband and I filed bankruptcy and it was done on 1/1/02- only 3 1/2 years ago. We have been building our credit back again,and over the course of time, now find ourselves...

View more questions Search