Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richl Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Re-release of hipaa medical information?
    Can a hospital emergency room release medical information to a bill collector if they lost the patient information release authorization? Is that release considered lawful?

Richl
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 07:14 AM
    [QUOTE=richl]Can a hospital emergency room release medical information to a bill collector if they lost the patient information release authorization? Is that release considered lawful?

What type of info was released? The collection agency is certain entitled to the fact that you were treated and the dates -
    richl Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 12:35 AM
    JudyKayTee,

Name, rank, horsepower, height, weight, vitals, medical condition and treatment. Can they do that if they've lost the Hipaa form?

Richl
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 05:43 AM
    [QUOTE=richl]JudyKayTee,

Name, rank, horsepower, height, weight, vitals, medical condition and treatment. Can they do that if they've lost the Hipaa form?

Is this the same matter - which I believe was a collection matter - that you've posted before involving an ER visit?

I don't understand why losing (or not losing) the HIPAA form would have anything to do with releasing the info to a collection agency - for that matter your Pharmacy releases your medical info to your health insurance company.

Somewhat on the same subject - I recently reviewed an estate file and was horrified that the hospital bill submitted to the Court for payment out of the estate contained every procedure, every medication, everything that occurred in the hospital. And now it's more or less public record.

In my opinion - and I am always willing to be corrected - knowing that this info can be placed in the hands of a collection agency is another reason not to let things medical go to collection. Of course, this advice comes rather late in this case.

If you believe this is a HIPAA violation, report it and see where it ends up.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 7, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Frankly, if the hospital's SOP is to get such a release signed, then a court is going to assume they got one but lost it.

Second, if you are looking for a financial windfall because of this, forget. HIPAA violations may result in fines or scantsion against the healt care provider, but not fianncial remuneration for the patient.
    jp242 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2008, 11:34 AM
    HIPPA releases are usually valid for a year from the date originally signed. The hospital will most likely have kept a copy when they got the original request and if that release was signed less than a year ago, they are perfectly within their rights to release the medical information encompassed within the release form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file suit for release of my medical records I didn't authorize? [ 17 Answers ]

I just found out yesterday that my entire chart of my medical records was copied and sent to an auto insurance company for the other party that hit me last year. They are attempting to settle with me and told me that it has taken so long because they were sent 70 pages of my medical records. I...

Blank medical release form [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I have a question concerning my employer. I was asked to sign a medical release form after a incident a work. In my stupidity I signed it without it being filled in, the person told me it would only be for one doctor to get my records for my employer and it would only go to human resources. A...

Ordered to sign blank medical release forms [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Air National Guard Member who was injured while deployed. I had surgery performed by a civilian surgeon. My commander recently gave me a letter ordering me to sign blank medical releases of information for Line of Duty Detemination immediately. However, the Line of Duty has already been...

Request release healthcare information [ 11 Answers ]

I have searching and can't find the answer so I thought I'd try asking. My current doctor said I could get my medical records from my previous doctor by walking in and asking for them. Well I went to my previous doctor and filled out a form to get my records released to me. I turned in the form...

HIPAA Law Regarding Former Employer Releasing Information [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently unemployed. I approached a staffing company which asked me for two supervisory references, which I provided. Upon contacting my former employer to check the references the staffing company told me my ex-supervisor was reluctant to talk to him citing a company policy against giving...

View more questions Search