Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jr0331 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Cannot play wmv files
    Even though I've downloaded and installed Windows Media Player 11 on my Dell Dimension 2350 PC (running Windows XP, service pack 2), I cannot get my PC to run a wmv file, either in my browser or as a stand alone file. I use Firefox as my browser, but also have Internet Explorer 7 installed on my PC.

Someone told me that I might not have the codec I need to play these files. I thought installing the Windows Media Player 11 would fix that problem, but maybe not. The bottom line I still can't get the wmv files to play.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 12:42 PM
    You need the codec files to properly play the files you want to. They are easily downloaded from the net.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Here is a link for xp codecs, has all codecs you need for audio and video file types
    Free-Codecs.com : XP Codec Pack 2.3.4 is one of the most completed codec packs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Play [ 3 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

Capturing images from .wmv files [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot figure out how to capture images playing from .wmv files. For example, I am watching a home movie on my computer using windows media player and I have paused the video at a certain point. I would like to make the still image paused on windows media player into an image file and further...

Can't use WMV files [ 2 Answers ]

When I bought my computer, it came installed with Windows XP and all other programs. I tried getting service pack 2 and was unable to install it as the XP was not the original. Ever since the computer has been displaying XP not genuine and has basically made all the WMV files and video capture in...

How to play tmp files [ 7 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

Nokia 6300- WMV files [ 1 Answers ]

I have this nokia6300, how can I play wmv files on it.

View more questions Search