Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Worse Advice Ever
    What's the worse advice you have seen someone give over the internet - on this site or others.

For me it was when I was having trouble with my Gamecube once. I found another thread where somebody was having a similar problem to mine. Someone suggested that it might be due to a build up of dust in the Gamecube (which is fair enough). Unfortunately their "advice" was to run the Gamecube under a cold tap to flush out all the dust. Unfortunately I don't think this person was joking. They still teach that electrical goods + water = bad in school right?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2006, 05:30 AM
    Lol, oh my.

On a webmasters forum I frequent I once saw some suggest a person delete their public_html folder from the site to solve some small problem.

The public_html folder is the root folder containing all the site's content!

That post was deleted pretty quickly!
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2006, 01:59 PM
    I had a guy stalking me once... he knew where I lived, my phone number, etc. I posted on an abuse / domestic violence site, and a woman claiming to be a social worker told me to go to his house and confront him directly! Yikes! I could have been beat up, raped or killed if I followed that advice. Luckily I was smarter than that and ended up calling the police.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Jan 22, 2006, 08:14 PM
    If I had to think of something specific it would most likely be that in order to burn(copy) videogame discs you should layer the original disc with glue put it in the first slot in your toaster and put another blank disc in your toaster and let them go for about 5 minutes, it was on a website and I thought they were kidding and I am still sure they were, however they had pictures of an actually burned one straight out of the toaster, go figure.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2006, 08:15 AM
    There have been so many it is hard to say. My first candidate has to be a recent post here of a link to a page giving dangerous advice on walking a dog that could injure the asker's 8 week old puppy. The mods deleted it, but not near soon enough to suit me.

Actually flushing electrical equipment with water might work. I once dropped an external hard drive in a puddle. I was careful to give it a week to dry out before powering it up, but it worked fine for many years. Might still be using it except for the Quadra I used it with no longer being able to keep up.

The guy might of mentioned letting it dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terrible odor in bathroom--worse with stormy weather--HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

I have had about ten plumbers here. No one can figure out what this is... We purchased the home two years ago--it has been ongoing since that time. House is fifty years old. Previous owners rehabbed the bathroom in 1998. We do not have the odor in the winter. Only in the spring and summer. It...

Leaking Shower getting worse! [ 6 Answers ]

:( I have an increasingly fast dripping leak coming from the pipe that attaches to the shower head. The pipe is mostly 'hidden' behing a tiled wall, with about 2 to 3 inches poking out of the wall. (I've removed all the shower head unit but that didn't stop the leak... its definitely coming...

Dumped after 6 years, found a new girl, feeling even worse [ 121 Answers ]

It's been 2 months since my 6 year relationship with my girlfriend from high school ended. I don't have much of a desire to contact her, and it's been going well up until now. I recently met a girl at a club a few days ago and she seems really nice- a college senior who is just a year younger...

Shower drain leak or something worse? [ 2 Answers ]

Have recently discovered a leak that is causing a water spot on the ceiling of the first floor. The leak is directly below the shower drain. I believe it is the drain but in checking my shower upstairs (its a fiberglass one piece shower stall) the floor seems pretty solid except against the inside...

It keeps getting worse and worse [ 4 Answers ]

I recently separated from my husband after 20 years of marriage. He has been keeping financial info from me for years. Found out at the sell of our home that there was an IRS lien on property (loan is in his name) Also found out that house is going into foreclosure. The closing fell through,...

View more questions Search