Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbiepepper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Do Jews celebrate birthdays?
    My son's birthday is coming up and his best friend is Jewish. Would it be appropriate to invite him to my son's birthday party? I can call it a play date and not sing happy birthday (he doesn't want a cake anyway).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Hello debbie:

We're not that strange. We sing and like cake too.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 08:28 AM
    It's the Jehovah's Witnesses that don't celebrate birthdays.
    tokm-nikita Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Sep 18, 2008, 02:41 PM
    The Lubavicher Rebbe, leader of the Lubavicher Chassidic movement, strongly encouraged his followers to party their birthdays. Not with drunken parties, but in a way that stresses "holy" activities.

See Birthday Customs - Chabad Lubavitch of West Brighton Beach & Manhattan Beach - Neshama Center
    jalene01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2010, 06:50 AM
    Jews, Jewish Christians, and Old Testament Birthdays
    But what were early Jewish practices?

The first century Jewish historian Josephus noted that Jewish families did not celebrate birthdays:

Nay, indeed, the law does not permit us to make festivals at the birth of our children, and thereby afford occasion of drinking to excess (Josephus. Translated by W. Whiston. Against Apion, Book II, Chapter 26. Extracted from Josephus Complete Works, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids (MI), 14th printing, 1977, p. 632).

Now although there is no specific command against the celebration of birthdays in the Bible, the Jewish custom in those days was apparently based on the negative occurrences in the Bible surrounding birthdays, as well as the astrological implications of the celebration of birthdays (pagan practices, like astrology, were specifically prohibited in the law).

Since nearly all of the first Christians were Jewish, this may partially explain why the celebration of Jesus' birth would not be consistent with that early custom.

In their essay titled "Birthdays, Jewishly," Lisa Farber Miller and Sandra Widener point out that the Encyclopedia Judaica is very blunt on this topic:

"The celebration of birthdays is unknown in traditional Jewish ritual."

Here are some passages in the Old Testament that the Jews probably looked at to come to their conclusion about birthdays:

Now it came to pass on the third day, which was Pharaoh's birthday, that he made a feast for all his servants; and he lifted the head of the chief butler and of the chief baker among his servants. Then he restored the chief butler to his butlership again, and he placed the cup in Pharaoh's hand. But he hanged the chief baker (Genesis 40:20-22).

There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD (Deuteronomy 18:10-12).

Early Origins of Birthdays
    So what is the origin of birthdays? Where did the idea of birthdays celebrations come from?

“Originally the idea [of birthday greetings and wishes for happiness] was rooted in magic. The working of spells for good and evil is the chief usage of witchcraft. One is especially susceptible to such spells on his birthday, as one's personal spirits are about at that time. Dreams dreamed on the birthday eve should be remembered, for they are predictions of the future brought by the guardian spirits which hover over one's bed on the birthday eve. Birthday greetings have power for good or ill because one is closer to the spirit world on this day. Good wishes bring good fortune, but the reverse is also true, so one should avoid enemies on one's birthday and be surrounded only by well-wishers. 'Happy birthday' and 'Many happy returns of the day' are the traditional greetings” (The Lore of Birthdays, Linton, p. 20)...

The giving of birthday gifts is a custom associated with the offering of sacrifices to pagan gods on their birthdays. Certainly the custom was linked with the same superstitions that formed the background for birthday greetings. “The exchange of presents… is associated with the importance of ingratiating good and evil fairies… on their or our birthdays” (ibid.).

The traditional birthday cake and candles also have their origin in ancient pagan idol worship. The ancients believed that the fire of candles had magical properties. They offered prayers and made wishes to be carried to the gods on the flames of the candles. Thus we still have the widely practiced birthday custom of making a wish, then blowing out the candles. The Greeks celebrated the birthday of their moon goddess, Artemis, with cakes adorned with lighted candles...

“The Egyptians… discovered to which of the gods each month and day is sacred; and found out from the day of a man's birth, what he will meet with in the course of his life, and how he will end his days, and what sort of man he will be” (Herodotus, Persian Wars, Book II, ch. 82)

Since it was believed that the positions of the stars at the time of birth influenced a child's future, astrological horoscopes came into being, purporting to foretell the future, based on the time of birth. “Birthdays are intimately linked with the stars, since without the calendar, no one could tell when to celebrate his birthday. They are also indebted to the stars in another way, for in early days the chief importance of birthday records was to enable the astrologers to chart horoscopes” (The Lore of Birthdays, p. 53). Rawlinson's translation of Herodotus includes the following footnote: “Horoscopes were of very early use in Egypt… and Cicero speaks of the Egyptians and Chaldees predicting… a man's destiny at his birth"...

When we examine the principles of God's law closely, as they relate to birthday celebrations, we can understand why neither Christ, nor His Apostles, nor their true followers, observed their birthdays. As noted earlier, the practice has its origin in idolatry and the worship of the sun, moon and stars... Some may view birthday customs as purely secular, lacking any religious significance. Yet we need to be aware of the broader perspective of their origins, and the religious significance they have had—and still have—for vast multitudes of people. (Reynolds, Rod. Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? Living Church News, May-June 2002. pp.16-18).

Furthermore, the book The Lore of Birthdays (New York, 1952) by Ralph and Adelin Linton, on pages 8, 18-20 had this to say:

The Greeks believed that everyone had a protective spirit or daemon who attended his birth and watched over him in life. This spirit had a mystic relation with the god on whose birthday the individual was born. The Romans also subscribed to this idea.. . This notion was carried down in human belief and is reflected in the guardian angel, the fairy godmother and the patron saint.. . The custom of lighted candles on the cakes started with the Greeks.. . Honey cakes round as the moon and lit with tapers were placed on the temple altars of [Artemis].. . Birthday candles, in folk belief, are endowed with special magic for granting wishes.. . Lighted tapers and sacrificial fires have had a special mystic significance ever since man first set up altars to his gods. The birthday candles are thus an honor and tribute to the birthday child and bring good fortune...

Thus it appears that birthdays had their origin in mythology and magic, with horoscopes also probably playing a role.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jalene01 View Post
    Jews, Jewish Christians, and Old Testament Birthdays
    But what were early Jewish practices?

The first century Jewish historian Josephus noted that Jewish families did not celebrate birthdays:.......
    Copy/pasted from here: Did Early Christians Celebrate Birthdays?

Please don't plagiarize.
    mauri613 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 09:53 PM
    Yes totally I'm jewish and I celebrate my birthday. All jews celebrate birthdays. Jews are like everyone else except wejust have different beliefs about god.
    greekteddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2011, 04:59 PM
    I have both Greek and Jewish blood.
    I had a Christian upbringing and I am very interesting in Theology.
    I am not celebrating birthdays.
    I am not afraid to be different. I believe that if ancient Jews did not celebrate and first Christians too then there is no reason for us to celebrate as well.
    Thank you Jalene01 and NeedKarma
    Btrue2yourself Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 08:23 AM
    I'm not Jewish, but I'm Christian.
    I agree with greekteddy, the early Christians did not celebrate birthdays.
    If anybody wants to be a TRUE Christian or Jew, then we should be TRUE Christians and Jews. Is a matter of choice. I choose to be a true Christian as I'm sure some Jews choose to be true Jews. Is better to ask the parent if it's OK to invite the child over for the birthday.
    Tikvah10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 12:44 PM
    Some Jews celebrate birthdays and some don't -- Jews come from all around the world and not all cultures celebrate birthdays.

@Btrue2yourself: Being a "true Jew," as you put it, has nothing to do with whether you celebrate birthdays. As far as I know, Torah mentions nothing of birthdays -- there's no prohibition on celebrating one's birthday. Regardless of what the first Jews did, Jews who choose to celebrate the day they were born are not going against Torah.
    Jackson02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 07:40 PM
    Jalene 01. Your comments are very informative & represents the true significance of what birthday celebration mean. As I am currently studying Judaism, coming from a background which was based on Christian theology & have significantly studied the roots of the worlds Pagan beliefs from Christmas to Easter, Mothers Day & Fathers , Halloween, Valentines Day. As Diligent believers of YHWH, G*d. We must truly safe guard ourselves & our children from the worlds Pagan ways of life.
    As it says in these two scriptures.

Romans 12:2
    New International Version (NIV)
    2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what Gods will ishis good, pleasing and perfect will.

1 John 2:15-17
    On Not Loving the World

15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[a] is not in them. 16 For everything in the worldthe lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of lifecomes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

We all need to follow what is write in our hearts & what is write by YHWH, G*d, because at the end of the day brothers & sisters we all know which government runs this system of ours.

& as Ephesians 6:10-18
    The Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devils schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lords people.

Shalom brothers & Sisters. & Keep your shield up against the spirits of this earth that will mislead you away from YHWH G*d.
    ChrisC62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2013, 03:08 AM
    Jews usually have a big celebration for the 13 year old birthday or coming of age celebration, it is called a Bar Mitzvah for boys, and Bat Mitzvah for girls. I lived with an observant Orthodox Jewish family in Israel, and they would hold big parties for their children's birthdays, even their rabbi would show up for a while as well.
    afreen ansari Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2013, 03:36 AM
    Kya birthday celebrate kr skte h?
    Jimmy09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2013, 04:26 AM
    Sure, there's a Jewish way for everything!

Here are some ideas (culled from the teachings of the Rebbe):

Note: All these suggestions should be implemented on your Jewish birthday. Use our Jewish/Civil Date Converter to find out when your Jewish birthday is.

Giving charity should be a daily event. On your special day increase the amount of your contribution, especially before the day's morning and afternoon prayers. If your birthday falls on Shabbat or a Jewish holiday when handling money is forbidden, give the added charity beforehand and afterwards.

Spend some extra time praying, focusing on meditating and concentrating on the words of the prayers.

Say as many Psalms as possible. Ideally you should complete at least one of its five books (Psalms is divided into five books).

Study the Psalm which corresponds to your new year. This is your age plus one -- e.g. Psalm 25 if this is your 24th birthday. Click here to study it online. This is also the Psalm which you should try to say daily until your next birthday.

Take some time out to contemplate on your past year. Consider which areas require improvement, and resolve to do so.

Learn some extra Torah on this day.

Study a Chassidic idea and repeat it at a gathering in honor of your birthday. Follow the following links for Short Insights, or some Essays.

Partake of a new fruit which you did not yet taste during this season and recite the Shehecheyanu blessing.

Take the time to teach another something about Torah and Judaism.

Commit yourself to doing a particular good deed. Choose something practical and doable! Click here for some ideas.

Men and boys over the age of thirteen: On the Shabbat beforehand, get an aliyah in the synagogue. If the birthday falls on a day when the Torah is read, be sure to receive an aliyah on that day too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Muslims and birthdays [ 19 Answers ]

Do muslims celebrate birthday's of family and friends? My boyfriend is religious and he said muslims don't celebraite birthday's.

How NYC will celebrate the 6th Anniversary of 9-11. [ 20 Answers ]

Edit : Should read : How will NYC commemorate the 6th Anniversary of 9-11. ... Sunday Sept. 9 ,NYC will have a United American Muslim Day Parade . This years grand marshal will be none other than the man who compared the 9-11 attacks to the fire at the Reichstag ;Rep. Keith Ellison ;the...

Lets Celebrate [ 5 Answers ]

Life is good, too many of us forget that. So, lets have a celebration of life aye Because life is good Ill start with that's good in my life -im surrounded by good people, who care about me -im pursuing a relationship with god -Its so easy to laugh and smile! :) -I am talented, I can do good...

Birthdays [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any religions who don't celebrate birthdays.. aside from jehovah's witnesses?

Which religion doesn't celebrate birthdays? [ 19 Answers ]

I brought cake to my sons class and a girl had to be pulled out because her parents gave specific instructions that their religion does not allow the celebration of birthdays. Actually her family does not celebrate any holdays. I was just curious to know which religion this is so that I could...

View more questions Search