Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shicks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 12:59 AM
    Wiring question 14awg and Cabinet lights
    I had an electrician install some under cabinet puck lights. The puck lights were a last minute addition to the recessed lights he installed. After watching him install the recessed lights I thought it looked easy so I put some more in myself in another room. I got all kind of books and read forums to make sure I was doing the wiring right. I kind of have a general idea about wiring.. After learning about circuit breakers, I recognized a potential problem with the installation of the puck lights. The electrician installed the puck lights under the cabinet. The wires which were 18 awg are ran inside the cabinet and are secured with staples. The 18 gauge wire enters a junction box inside the cabinet. Inside this junction box is a 14/2 awg wire that is connected to a switch on the wall. It works fine but I think there may be a problem. The puck lights were came with a plug. The electrician hardwired the 18 awg to the 14/2. The 14/2 gets power from the switch junction box on the wall. The circuit is a 20 AMP circuit. After reading it seems like 12/2 should have been ran to the junction box in the cabinet. Also, I am questioning if a receptacle should have been install in the cabinet instead of hardwiring the pucks. Then the pucks could have been plugged into the outlet in the cabinet. Is there a problem with this situation or am I wrong? Thank you.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2006, 02:53 AM
    Seems that your electrician took some liberty with codes to install your puck lights. All building wiring on a 20 amp circuit should be #12, so the #14 should be changed to #12. The light fixture is UL listed as a plug in fixture, so now the UL listing of the fixture is violated.

Your electrician has technically violated both the National Electric Code and Underwriters Laboratories, but neither can be considered a serious safety concern. You can either ask the electrician to make the installation correct, or ask your electrical inspector to check the installation and either allow the installation to remain or require the electrician to make the necessary corrections.
    Shicks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 06:31 PM
    Thank you
    That is what I thought. Thank you for the reply.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2006, 01:08 PM
    Well it really is a concern, if there were to be a fire and that was the cause it could cause big headaches. The other concern is that if you hired and Electrician to do the job it should be done right and in accordance with you local codes! Anything less is unaceptable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring circuits with smokes & lights [ 1 Answers ]

I am building my basement right now and have been reading about wiring and circuits. I thought I had everything figured out for my basement until I started looking into my lighting circuit today. I had a circuit that I thought I could easily add to, to handle my needs. I will be adding three...

Wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a 240 volt electric baseboard heating system that has a total watts of 5,000. A 2500 and a 1500 watt unit will each have their own wall thermostat. Then there will be two 500 watt units each with their own unit mounted thermostat. I plan on using a 30 amp breaker and 10-2 wire. ...

Wiring one switch for multiple lights [ 2 Answers ]

I understand the wiring for a single switch for a single light but what do I do with multiple lights on the one switch without making the whole circuit run off that switch. There are other outlets that need constant power on the same line as the two lights.

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Wiring question [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I"ll try to explain this with the best of my ability. I have recently been trying to replace some of the light fixtures in my house. I have only lived in my house 3 months so I am not sure what I have yet. I only know it is 67 years old. What I noticed is there isn't black and white wires but...

View more questions Search