Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjjz337 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 06:58 PM
    WHen it rains a lot our toilets will not flush!
    We are having some sort of plumbing problem. When it rains for several days our toilets will not flush. We never have trouble with the showers or sinks, however while having this problem, when we take a shower the toilet does gurgle, but the shower drains fine. Could this be aproblem with the septic tank, drainfield vent pipe, or what. This is driving me crazy!

We live in a single floor house with two bathrooms, one behind the other in the floorplan. We do not have city sewer, a septic tank.

Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:58 PM
    You have a problem with the distribution field of you septic tank. Water comes out of the septic tank in pipes and is distributed out into the ground. Over time this area can become saturated and when it rains there is too much water in the ground for the water in the septic tank to come out. Time to call the septic tank guy and have new or additional lines put in another area.

Feb 3, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjjz337
    We are having some sort of plumbing problem. When it rains for several days our toilets will not flush. We never have trouble with the showers or sinks, however while having this problem, when we take a shower the toilet does gurgle, but the shower drains fine. Could this be aproblem with the septic tank, drainfield vent pipe, or what. This is driving me crazy!!

We live in a single floor house with two bathrooms, one behind the other in the floorplan. We do not have city sewer, a septic tank.

Thanks
    If that's the case, why don't we have problems with the shower draining. Not that I am doubting you, this is what we thought anyway, but we were hoping for a less expensive answer.

Feb 3, 2008, 10:44 PM
    You have more water going to the septic tank, concequently you have more water going out of the septic tank, faster, from the toilet.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 09:47 AM
    I think Harold nailed this one. You may find that your soil will no longer pass a perc test and may be saturated. How long has it been since you had your tank pumped and inspected? I'd get that done now, just to start.

Feb 4, 2008, 08:11 PM
    We bought this house two years ago and have not had it pumped or inspected at all. How often should we pump?

Feb 4, 2008, 10:32 PM
    You will probably get a different answer each time you ask that question. The septic tank guy will probably tell you every year or two. Pumping removes the things in the tank that don't get dissolved. These can get out into the lines and into the holes in the pipe preventing the sewage form getting out and being distributed into the ground. I have a small mobile home park on septic tanks. Recently had my first problems with septic tanks. Sewage was coming out the end of the pipe, presumably because the pipe holes were clogged. This occurred even though the area was undergoing a long dry spell. Probably should have had the tanks pumped years ago, but hey, I got away with it for 25 years.
    Your problem is different, you problem is that the ground cannot take any more water from the septic tank when it rains. The ground is saturated.

You probably should have the tanks pumped but that won't solve the problem.

Feb 5, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Harold is correct about getting a different answer every time you ask about pumping. My mom and dad never pumped their tank and I lived there for 21 years. Where I am now we are required to pump every five years. Pumping doesn't do much other than give your field a break for a few days and removed undigested sewage. It does give the opportunity to inspect the tank and catch problems early on. A broken baffle could be allowing solids into your field and that will cause a big problem.
    Sand Daddy Posts: 95, Reputation: 14

Feb 5, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Soil conditions vary from site to site, this will determine frequency of pumping.

Feb 5, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Soil does play a big part in a septic system and passing a perc test is a big requirement. A lot also depends on what you put into your septic. Many things get flushed or rinsed down the drain that will never be digested such as paint, drywall mud, and an occasional diamond ring at my house.

Feb 5, 2008, 02:37 PM
    occasional diamond ring at my house
    I've heard of bobing for apples but "Diving for diamonds".
    timinator2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2011, 11:36 PM
    I'm having the same problem only we have a city sewer system? We've live in the house for about 12 years and never had this problem. It has rained quite a bit here today and over the past week. I've tried plunging both toilets and it still didn't drain. Any ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2011, 07:51 AM
    Hi timinator and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You piggybacked on an a 4 year old dead thread so I gave you one of your own. In the future, before you post, look in the upper left hand corner for the date.
    I think you've come across one of the many drawbacks of combining your rain water run off with your
    House sewer. In my area it's illegal to do this. Several things come to mind.
    The best way would be to disconnect the rainwater from your sewer and divert it to a home made dry well.(see image).
    If that doesn't "float your boat" you van install a sewer check valve,(see image) just after the house cleanout to prevent any backups from flooding your basement. The drawback to this is that when the check valve's closed you won't be able to flush or drain anything until it opens back up. What's your pleasure? Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Both bathtubs clogged and toilets won't flush [ 6 Answers ]

Both our bathtubs are clogged and both toilets won't flush. We've tried Zepp in both tubs and one seemed to drain fine while the other one didn't. We then tried the snake and couldn't get it to go in the bathtub with the drain problem more than two feet or so. We were able to remove some hair from...

Gurgling in pipes after all toilets flush [ 6 Answers ]

What causes pipes to make a moaning/gurgling sound after flushing toilets? And how can I fix it? We live in a 107-year old house and have lived here for the past three years. About a month or so, we started to hear our pipes after flushing the toilets. You can hear the sound from one of the...

2 story house dwn stairs toilets don't flush solids [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house with 3 bathrooms built in 76... 2 days ago the 2 toilets downstairs started to act up and won't complete flush cycle 7 out of 10 times... solids remain... I have a 50' auger and have snaked the line from access outside kitchen wall and also from back center of house. Nothing...

Toilets don't flush at the same time [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a new house only 1 1/2 years old no basement and one story 2000 sqare feet. We have two toilets. On occasion one toilet gets stuffed and does not flush properly occasionally both tolitets at the same time do the same. Ive snaked it many times and get it work for a while, but ihappens...

Toilets fill with water but will not flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have two toilets which are back to back on either side of a wall. I am experiencing occasional problems with both toilets flushing. I have a convntional septic system and the tank was cleaned out about two years ago before I purchaced the home. I called the company who cleaned it and asked if...

View more questions Search