Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brenok Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Sample of Debt Exemption Certificate for SSI, Retirement, etc.
    The link below is from the State of Oklahoma regarding debt collection. It contains an exemption form that is filed with the court BEFORE a debt collector can attach or garnish your exempt income. If the scumbags try to garnish before you have a chance to file this with the court after a judgment agreement, they are in violation of the law. However, check with your state rules of procedure - I think most of them provide for this opportunity for you to claim exemptions. This is just a sample to give you an idea of your rights.

http://www.oscn.net/forms/aoc_form/adobe/Form.22.pdf
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
    They can't just pluck these benefits out of the air and take them for a judgement. Once they are deposited in the bank, any benefit is fair game unless you get to the bank first, try to stop an automatic deposit, etc. That's the way I see it. It isn't all that foolproof.
    Brenok Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Nothing is foolproof in the debt collection game. I am not telling people what to do or that they will be successful, just offering information that is available.

There have been a lot of questions asked here recently about SSI benefits, etc. and I feel compelled to help since a lot of people don't know where or how to look. I am a retired paralegal with 33 years of research experience. I am not offering legal advice - I can't do that. But I am finding that there are some options available to people that might otherwise not be known. Some options are very viable and I am doing research for those of us who survive on limited and exempt benefits, it is up to us to try - at least try for Gods sake! If we don't try, the scum sucking debt collectors and their vermin attorneys win without a fight and that is what they want to do. Who knows, we might be successful? If they win anyway, we at least tried.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sample of a Credit Debt Validation Letter [ 1 Answers ]

What is a good Credit Card Debt Validation Letter to use with most Visa and MC credit card accounts?

Can they take my ssi/ssdi away from me to play small claims debt in Massachusetts [ 3 Answers ]

I have lost a small claims case in mass court system. Does anyone know the exact law that says I don't have to pay it back because I am to poor. I heard that there is a law for this but I can't find it in the statues. Please help me.

Wall Street Journal - Article about garnishing exempt funds (SSI, retirement, etc.) [ 2 Answers ]

This is an interesting article by the Wall Street Journal about debt collectors trying and actually garnishing exempt funds like SSI and retirement. (If the link doesn't work, Copy and paste the url in your browser search area (right click and click on properties to get complete address). ...

Garnishment of SSI & Retirement Funds-letter to your bank [ 1 Answers ]

This is a memorandum I found written by The Texas Legal Services Center regarding notifying your bank that your accounts are only funded by non-exempt funds such as social security, VA benefits, Civil Service Retirement, etc. It has a sample letter. Even though this is from Texas, I believe it...

Retirement debt payoff [ 2 Answers ]

I have $183,000. In an investment account that I rolled over from my 401K when I retired. I owe $23,000 in bills. I am wondering if I should withdraw money from my investment account to pay off the bills. I receive $1217/month from pension and $1666/month from Soc Sec. My husband is retired and...

View more questions Search