Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raymie1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 12:18 PM
    HVAC furnace noise
    I have a fairly new house 2years old , the intake -exhaust from the furnace runs through the attic , through a 3" pvc concentric , everything works fine , however there is a "tapping"noice that comes from the concetric as the pipe heats up , its fairly loud because it echoes in the exhaust pipe , there is spray-foam insulation around the concentric as well as the attic rafters , any ideas ? Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 01:35 PM
    None by me. That is something that needs to be tracked down at your end.
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Feb 3, 2008, 06:15 PM
    The noise may very well be the PVC pipe expanding in length, as it heats up and slides in and out (as it cools) across the foam insulation. Spray in foam should not be right up to the PVC pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace noise [ 1 Answers ]

We cleaned the dust of the blades and stuff and now it is making a knocking noise every time it runs

Popping noise in furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Popping noise from furnace

Noise from new furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had a new Lenox furnace installed in my new home. It now makes a steady eletrical humming sound whether it is on or off at the thermostat. My installer does not seem to be concerned but it does not seem right to me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gurgling noise in HVAC Attic Air Handler [ 2 Answers ]

The Attic Air Handler of our HVAC First Co. unit makes a gurgling noise when the AC is on. This does not happen when the Heat is on. This is an oil / hot water / cool water system. Any ideas on what this is?

HVAC Vent Noise [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had my HVAC system replaced and now I am having a problem with the noise being generated by the room vents. It is probably because this newer system (the previous was >30yo) has a stronger fan motor and is forcing the air through the vents faster. It is really annoying and wakes us in...

View more questions Search