Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jking0326 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Windows ME LAN Connection
    I am having problems connecting to the internet through a computer in my house. I have a LAN connection and the computer is running Windows ME but I am having problems connecting to the internet. All the protocols and everything are set right, I've tried to reset the ip, but I still can't connect and I do not know why.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2006, 06:11 PM
    Add your ISP's DNS settings in your LAN connection.

Jan 16, 2006, 08:42 PM
    Automatic
    The dns is automatically configered
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Can you be more specific about what settings you have, and what happens when you try to connect?
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jking0326
    The dns is automatically configered
    They may not be. When you conenct directly to your ISP they "push" the DNS settings to you; your computer connected to a router/hub does not get this. Perhaps you should try setting the DNS entries manually.

Jan 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
    Ok, I have 2 computers running off an 8 port switch. This one that I am using has windows xp and I didn't have to do anything to configure it, I guess it did it itself. But on the other computer with ME it tells me there is no dhcp server and it is receiving a little bit but not sending anything. I do not know what to set in the dns to get it going.

Jan 17, 2006, 04:00 PM
    Ok, I have 2 computers running off of an 8 port switch. This one that I am using has windows xp and I didn't have to do anything to configure it, I guess it did it itself. But on the other computer with ME it tells me there is no dhcp server and it is recieving a little bit but not sending anything. I do not know what to set in the dns to get it going.
    Ahh that is the issue, a switch doesn't allow you to share the connection. You need a broadband router which will supply the DHCP server.

Jan 17, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Point
    Then what is the point of a switch? It is the same switch they use to network in a school or office setting and it seems to work fine.

Jan 18, 2006, 06:57 AM
    The point of a switch is to connect several devices into a LAN. But it has nothing to do with sharing the Internet. That means connecting to a WAN and you need a router for that. Most broadband routers incoude a 4 port switch. If you need more than 4 ports you can daisy chain your existing switch into it.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Just to add to my previous post. When you add the DNS settings, don't forget to also add the ISP gateway IP address.

Jan 18, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Ok, Thank You guys

Jan 18, 2006, 10:14 PM
    DHCP Server
    When I add the default gateway and the dns servers it still does not work. When I use the command promt with ipconfig/all it still has the computer given ip address, no default gateway, and a computer issued subnet mask. If I try to renew it tells me there is no dhcp server.

Jan 19, 2006, 07:58 AM
    When I add the default gateway and the dns servers it still does not work. When I use the command promt with ipconfig/all it still has the computer given ip address, no default gateway, and a computer issued subnet mask. If I try to renew it tells me there is no dhcp server.
    Because you don't have a DHCP server. That's a function that a broadband router provides.

Jan 19, 2006, 04:16 PM
    How would I get the server with a switch then?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 19, 2006, 04:47 PM
    It is possible to set up a DHCP server on one of your computers.

However, that will not solve the problem you are trying to solve.

In order to give you a definitive answer, we need to know more about your network setup.

You said you have 2 computers connected to an 8-port switch. Okay. So what is the switch connected to?
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2006, 05:15 PM
    When you consider that routers are $40, the solution would seem quite simple to me.

Jan 19, 2006, 08:15 PM
    A switch doesn't have the intelligence. You could setup a DHCP server in one of the PCs, but, as Need said, with the cost of broadband routers so low, it just doesn't make sense.

A broadband router is generally several devices in one unit. The router function connects the device to a broadband modem and shares the connection with all the devices on the network. It does this with 2 features. First there is a DHCP server, which assigns an IP to each device that connects to the network. The second is NAT (Network Address Translation) which maps the IP to the physcial device. This is what allows the router to route data packets from the broadband modem to the devices on the LAN.

Almost all the broadband routers I've seen have a built in switch usually 4 ports. This allows you to connect up to 4 network devices. One of those devices could be another switch allowing you to daisy chanin to add more devices.

Many of the rotuers sold include wireless capability. You might want to consider one for future expansion. You will save a little if you don't get a wireless one.

Even wireless routers are available under $50. The ease of setup and usage over trying to run your own DHCP server make the cost well worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows ME - no internet connection [ 5 Answers ]

I have network - this computer (Windows ME) was working fine until Norton suggested removing the following threats: silc_dll.dll, rlls.dll, rlvkvlg.dll, and ldpochage.dll The computer is able to access other computers on the network. It can't connect to the internet despite all network...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows XP and internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can someone please help me? Recently I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional. Now every time I connect to internet and start browsing or downloading, a message flashes on saying “This shutdown was initiated by NT\SYSTEM. Remote Procedure Call Service terminated...

Dsl connection [ 1 Answers ]

When connecting High Speed DSL connections,which connection is better,USB or Ethernet, I can use either one

View more questions Search