Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doglovershouse Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Feb 3, 2008, 08:43 AM
    TWO electrical phone jacks - one under the other
    Hi:
    POINT # 1. I am on dial up. TWO: I have correctly rewired the wall jack as instructed on here, and still have a dial tone go my phone. However there is a jack on the baseboard, direbtly underneith the one rewired on the wall BUT it has multiple colored wires, and I still do not have a dial tone to the phone I think is partially, correctly wired now. What do I still need to do to get a dial tone on my den phone?
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Feb 3, 2008, 09:10 AM
    If you have no dial tone you have either: A) NOT rewired the jack correctly or B) Have no connectivity at the far end. Dial tone typically comes in on the two center pins of the jack (Pins 2-3 of a 4-pin, pins 3-4 of a six-pin, or pins 4-5 of an 8-pin). Also typically, the dial tone (for a single line) comes in on the Red/Green or Blue/White-Blue pair.

If the jack on the baseboard works, see what colors are wired to the center pins. The connectors (screws, perhaps?) should be numbered, if not, try to see which are the center pins.

Since we do this all the time, we usually use tone generators and/or special continuity testers to find which wires are active is there's a question. If this doesn't clear it up for you, post back and we'll try to help.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Please don't give rover88 a red mark because he mentioned tone generator. You gave me a red because I sugggested a Meter. Please tell him you have no test equipment and want to fix with nothing. Please tell somebody the color of wires at jack. Instead of everyone guessing. You never respond. You keep asking on others' post, and different post.
    The pair of wires need to connect to red and green on jack. Can you PLEASE tell what color wires are there?
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Feb 4, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Thanks, Stratmando!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone jacks in the house are dead [ 5 Answers ]

My phone was working an hour ago and now it is not I have went out and tried the test jack out side and it has dial tone but all the jacks in the house are dead what could be the problem?

Rewiring phone jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I read through other similar topics and couldn't find an answer. Just had the phone company out as my line was dead. Problem with wiring in the house. The pair of wires (white w/ blue mark, blue w/ white mark) that were hooked up to line one In the NIC box (red/green connectors) supposedly...

Connect Dead Phone Jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently moved into a house, and only 2 of the 6 phone jacks work. I only have one line... I've already compared the "working" jacks to the non-working jacks, and they seem to have a similar configuration. The outside wires are all going to line one. Any ideas how to get these phone jacks...

Wiring phone jacks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search