Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christianfcbmx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Does a j1 visa holder non residence receive more taxes back than a US residence?
    Last year... my taxes were 1100 dollars(federal + state ),, that is what my w2 showed...

I got back 1000 dollars for those 4 months i worked that year...

This year my taxes are 4000 dollars (federal + state) that what it shows my w2 and its more money cause i worked 12 months.. right?

Why im only getting back 1450 dollars back which is like 35%... the same amount as a "US" residence would receive if they have made the same amount and with the same status as i have...

I was told that a j1 visa holder or non residence aliens receive more tax money than an a citizen... is that right?

... my company did the same thing as last year... the w2 are the same

Nothing that they could ve made different... the w2 was made as it was made last year... no differences...

The question is... does visa holder non residence receive less, more or the same as anybody here in he us??

If a non residence receive more... probably im doing something wrong and i like to know how i can do my taxes right

Thank u experts so much... im looking forward to hearing from you
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 09:31 AM
    J1 visa holders are exempt from FICA taxes for two years and must file as nonresident. As nonresident you get exemption deduction and no standard deduction. You get itemized deductions.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Christian:

First, NO MORE ALL CAPS! That denotes shoutings and is very difficult to read.

Second, from which country did you originate?

Third, MukatA is correct; you should NOT be paying ANY FICA (Social Security or Medicare) taxes.

Fourth, we need to know how much you EARNED, not how much was withheld, in order to determine your tax liability.

Feb 4, 2008, 11:19 AM
    $$$26000 and I'm from chile... thankssssss
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Christian:

Okay, no tax treaty with Chile, so NO tax treaty exemption.

You will file Form 1040NR-EZ and can claim ONLY your $3,400 personal exemption plus whatever was withheld for state income taxes as an itemized deduction, as you CANNOT claim the standard deduction.

Since I do not know how much of the $4,000 withholding was for state income tax, I cannot tell you how much your ax liability will be, but it will NOT exceed $2,965.

Feb 7, 2008, 12:09 AM
    Well... its 3329.(federal)... and 1059 (state) would u be able to tell me the amaount I'm getting back??

Thank you so much
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Your federal refund is $491.

Cannot comment on state, since it was never identified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes based on residence [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I live in Connecticut. My daughter recently graduated from college and got a job in NYC. She also moved into an Apartment in NYC, however her name does not appear on the lease. For tax purposes, is it financially advantageous for her to continue declaring herself a Connecticut...

Taxes for h1b visa holder [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I changed my status from j1 to h1b in december2006. I am in us from feb 2006 my wife who joined me on j2 visa in march changed her status to h4 in December 2006, and she has the social security number. I also moved from New York to Texas in December 2006, I want to know which forms would I...

Taxes for H1B Visa Holder [ 1 Answers ]

Have a few questions. I am an Indian who came to the US on F1 Visa in 2003 graduated in May 2005 and have been working since Oct 2005 on H1B Visa. Last year I filed 1040NR. Here are the questions: 1. Since in 2006 I was on H1B for the full year do I file as a resident i.e.. Use Form 1040? 2. I...

Residence of India entering in US with H1B Visa (Tax Query) [ 1 Answers ]

I am an married Indian residence. I am planing to come US with H1B visa in the month of November-07. My monthly Salary will be $5000. My job location will be in Ohio. How much should I pay as a TAX to US. If after 3 month I call my wife & daughter with H4 visa. Will it help me in tax saving. If...

J1 visa holder- Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Iam a J1 visa holder who came to USA in march 2005. Since then I am here in usa. I am a citizen of India. So I am actually eligible for the tax treaty exemption benefits for the first two years of my say here in USA. My programme of stay makes me stay here for more than two years of...

View more questions Search