Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawnie6874 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 10:31 AM
    My cat and her litter box
    I have two cats (a male and a female). My female cat uses the litter box, then instead of covering her urine or poop, she just walks away. A minute or so later, my male cat will go into the litter box and cover it up for her. I have never seen this behavior before and I am wondering why she doesn't do it herself... I was just chalking it up to her being a little prissy thing that refuses to get her paws dirty.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 16, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Cats
    Shawn,I have four cats,all with their own idiosyncratic behaviour.As long as they all use the litter tray,you have nothing to worry about.One of my cats,Millie,sometimes plays in a "clean" tray,moving the litter about,with her paws.She tendes to make a right mess.I'm sure the other three think she's a little odd :D
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 16, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Is your female a long haired cat? I've noticed this behavior more in long haired cats.

I see this behavior a lot working at a veterinary clinic so don't worry. It's not all that uncommon... mostly just gross and inconsiderate! LOL
    shawnie6874 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 02:17 PM
    Nope, she isn't a long hair, but she is half siamese (the other half mutt LOL). She is just a dainty little thing that obviously expects her brother to clean up after her ;)
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Shawn,I have four cats,all with their own idiosyncratic behaviour.As long as they all use the litter tray,you have nothing to worry about.One of my cats,Millie,sometimes plays in a "clean" tray,moving the litter about,with her paws.She tendes to make a right mess.I'm sure the other three think she's a little odd :D
    My kitten Tillie was like that. Used to play in the litter tray make a right mess all over the floor. Then she started using the litter tray as she should. Then she progressed to going out side. She would be out all day but would come in to use the itter tray every time she needed the toilet only to go back out after. (she just did not get it) Whereas Mitzi got it first time. I happen to think some cas are a little slow at getting things whereas others are quick off the mark. I think its learning abilites just like us humans.

shawnie6874 - your female cat seems to be portraying a personality trait. As long as she using the litter tray and not the florr or the nearest pot plant then I would not worry. Maybe she likes having a male run around after her ll ;)
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Hollys right as long as she is using the box I wouldn't worry my friends cat does her business in his sink hehehehehe now that's a problem.
    All three of our kitty boys use the tray but the eldest rarely covers his poop the middle one goes in after him and cleans up. Cats are just curious creatures and they do everything as they please.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 17, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Cat lovers
    Nice to know a lot of us are cat lovers.One of my cats,George,is from ferral parents.He is a rogue,and will only let you stroke him,if he feels like it.Me and Sally rescued him from a dirty barn,in the Warwickshire countryside.I won't name the place,as they are being investigated by the RSPCA,but we had permission to have him,as he was only six weeks,approximately,when he came home with us.The other three cats we have,are from "normal" backgrounds.
    We are not animal rescue,or anything like that,except Sally has a friend who lives near the farm in question,tipped off the RSPCA,and after talks,well,we got George.Our son loves the cats,and they have taken to him.Now he says can we have a dog :D
    No!
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Nice to know a lot of us are cat lovers.One of my cats,George,is from ferral parents.He is a rogue,and will only let you stroke him,if he feels like it.Me and Sally rescued him from a dirty barn,in the Warwickshire countryside.I wont name the place,as they are being investigated by the RSPCA,but we had permission to have him,as he was only six weeks,approximately,when he came home with us.The other three cats we have,are from "normal" backgrounds.
    We are not animal rescue,or anything like that,except Sally has a friend who lives near the farm in question,tipped off the RSPCA,and after talks,well,we got George.Our son loves the cats,and they have taken to him.Now he says can we have a dog :D
    No!
    Oh I'm with you there millie really doesn't ever want to ask me or ben for a dog it won't go down to well I can assure you
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Nice to know a lot of us are cat lovers.One of my cats,George,is from ferral parents.He is a rogue,and will only let you stroke him,if he feels like it.Me and Sally rescued him from a dirty barn,in the Warwickshire countryside.I wont name the place,as they are being investigated by the RSPCA,but we had permission to have him,as he was only six weeks,approximately,when he came home with us.The other three cats we have,are from "normal" backgrounds.
    No!
    Don't think a dog would go down too well with your cats?
    shintao Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 12:37 AM
    She maybe expressing her superiority. Is she first at the chow dish while the male waits? Try a second litter box in a different location and see if she doesn't improve her habits.

For first time pet owners, if you can borrow a baggie of poop to put in your new litter box, that will get the message across as to where to go.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2010, 04:01 AM
    She maybe expressing her superiority. Is she first at the chow dish while the male waits? Try a second litter box in a different location and see if she doesn't improve her habits.
    Why does she need to improve her habits? Some cats just don't cover it up - no biggie. I've got one like that and I don't worry about it. If you have two litter boxes, they'll both use whichever one they dang well please at any given moment.

For first time pet owners, if you can borrow a baggie of poop to put in your new litter box, that will get the message across as to where to go.
    Borrow a baggie of poop? Did you read the thread? Somehow I think not. The cat knows where to go - she just doesn't cover it up. It's not hurting anything.

Not to mention the thread is well over 4 years old anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat Goes Outside Litter Box [ 20 Answers ]

We have 4 cats! Only one of them, either goes Poop in the Litter Box and does not cover it up or drops the Poop on the floor just next to the Litter Box. It is a neutered 3 yr. old male. Any suggestions of how to correct this problem?

Oh my cat won't use the litter box [ 1 Answers ]

My male cat is about 1 year and in my old place he went to the litter box and then he became a full time outdoor cat and just came in at night to sleep and eat but never used the litter bow now I have moved out into a new place and I don’t want him to run away but he will not use the litter bow he...

Cat litter and cleaning [ 3 Answers ]

Hi just want o no what type of litter do you use for your can't and how do you clean if after its dirty, like do you put in the garden or the bin?

Runts of the Litter [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am interested in getting a puppy (American Pit Bull Terrier)... Here is a little background... The current breeder who owns the puppy said that it was the runt of the litter, but it is healthy.. The puppy is about 12 weeks old and around 20 lbs. THe parents are 125 lbs (Sire) and 80 lbs...

Cat Litter Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Our cat is almost 14 years old and has always been an inside/outside cat. We recently moved to a house where he cannot be outside due to the community covenants. He does not even seem to want to go outside so we thought he was okay with the change. However, in the last month, about three...

View more questions Search