Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sam236 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Are we meant to be
    My boyfriend is very self centered, he is always talking about himself and he doesn't take others feelings into consideration before he says things, sometimes saying hurtful things. I have been dating him for 10 months now, he is 21 I am 27. So there's an age difference too. He is very critical of me too. Always telling me he doesn't agree with the way I parent, that he could do it better and telling me in a nice way that I am lazy and stuff, which in fact I have depression, which lowers my motivation. I think we are not meant for each other but how do I know for sure
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 12:24 PM
    If you feel you are taking exception to his criticism, then I don't think you two will last very long unless you can sit down with him and tell him just what it is you don't like him to criticize.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Feb 2, 2008, 12:25 PM
    I don't believe a couples are meant for each other or not. Sounds like your boyfriend is a jerk if he says things that hurt your feelings this is not a healthy relationship. Verbal abuse is the blueprint for physical abuse.
    Sand Daddy Posts: 95, Reputation: 14

Feb 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
    My wife would lich me if I pulled that on her... If it feels wrong, it just might be.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 2, 2008, 01:39 PM
    If it feels wrong, chances are it's wrong. If he insults you, makes you feel bad, then you should find someone you can be happy with. If you have depression, it is probably making it even worse, and that isn't what you need. I would say, break it off and find someone better than this guy, because it sounds like he doesn't deserve you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 05:53 PM
    If your love, overrides your common sense, and lets you be verbally abused, then you aren't in love. You just think you are, and use the love as an excuse to not stand up for yourself, and that ain't love, and is so unhealthy.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    If your love, overrides your common sense, and lets you be verbally abused, then you aren't in love. You just think you are, and use the love as an excuse to not stand up for yourself, and that ain't love, and is so unhealthy.
    Have to spread the rep
    Exactly! And it only gets worse.
    BrownSugarWebster890 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sam236
    My boyfriend is very self centered, he is always talking about himself and he doesnt take others feelings into consideration before he says things, sometimes saying hurtful things. I have been dating him for 10 months now, he is 21 i am 27. So theres an age difference too. He is very critical of me too. Always telling me he doesnt agree with the way i parent, that he could do it better and and telling me in a nice way that i am lazy and stuff, which infact i have depression, which lowers my motivation. I think we are not meant for eachother but how do i know for sure
    I think deep down he loves you he just wants to try his best
    And if he loves you he is always trying to impress xx
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Critical isn't impressing. Putting her down is belittling her to impress his own ego.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Without looking at the relationship, I can almost immediately assume that the guy's a bit too immature for you.
    victoriarose Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Well I think if someone loves you they should treat you with respect not try to discourage you.. You don't need that. I think the longer you stay with him the way he talks you down will only get worse. My advice would be to break it off I went through this myself before.. There are plenty of fish in the sea that can treat you the way you deserve to be treated..

I hope everything works out for you. Keep your head up :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 05:53 AM
    I suggest you communicate your feelings to him, and let him know his critism of you will not be tolerated, and stick to your guns.
    Rachel005 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 08:33 PM

The whole parenting thing that's so out of line and if he's going to critasize anyone on anything he should be doing it to other people not you at all.
    It seems to me that he's not helping you he's just hurting you it doesn't seem healthy. Think about if he makes you better then decide what to do
    batman76 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 09:40 PM

Your boyfriend is a dumb ,how could he treat the women he love like that,there is plenty fish in the sea,get out of that relationship before you get to dip ,you will find someone the is right for you.Good luck
    NewYork123 Posts: 67, Reputation: 8

Jan 21, 2009, 10:06 PM

If you look and reread the question you asked, can you honestly say that what you have written looks like love? Love is NONE of those things. And he is way too immature for you.. you deserve so much better and you should tell him to get lost immediately. I know it will be so hard, but once you get past the hard part you will be SO very happy that you did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meant to be? [ 1 Answers ]

I really like this guy that goes to a diff. school. He told my best friend he liked me, but wanted to get to know me better before he asked me out. But we never talk. Sometime in October he told her that he would ask me out if we went to the same school! He says I'm really "hott" and stuff, but I...

Meant to be? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 23 years old and I have a 2 1/2 year old son from a previous marriage. I got divorced over 2 years ago and I have full custody of my son. I met a girl about a year ago and Ive know her since high school. We started dating and I decided to ask her to marry me. She said yes and we both decided...

Are we meant to be together? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm an 18 year old girl and enjoying my life. Recently I met a guy who was just like what I thought my prince charming would be. We get along really well, in fact, more than just well. We are best friends and keep in touch. But the problem is that he is still obsessed about a girl who rejected...

Do you think he meant it? [ 16 Answers ]

On New Years Eve - I was Djing until 12am. My boyfriend came down with his friends until 11pm and then went on somewhere else afterwards. He told me he would be back before 12 regardless of his friends as he wanted to see the New year in with me - and that he did bless him. We went to meet his...

Were we meant to be? [ 3 Answers ]

undefined I Am wanting to know if my and my b/f will get married. We have only been dating fro a little over 2 months but i feal something for him. I am a Scorpio and his birthday is February 9th (not sure what he is :p ). I don't necesarily need to know if we will get married. but just somethign...

View more questions Search