Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    physician alien Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 09:56 AM
    B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident
    Hi.
    I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last year as resident, since I had been in the US for more than 183 consecutive days and partially in the previous 6 six years. My questions : B1 visa status counts toward the test of presence in the past 6 years, now that I have been more than 183 days on a J1 visa?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:32 PM
    While on J-1 visa, your days in the U.S. does NOT count tlowards substantial presence.

Feb 3, 2008, 09:57 PM
    I am Sorry, I think I explained myself wrong. I am currently on a J1 visa. I am an exempt individual for the first 2 years , since I am a trainee on J1 visa. But according to the IRS publication 519 if I have been in the US for any time during 2 years of the last 6 years, then I will not be and exempt individual and I should file as a resident instead of non resident. But it mentions only people with J, M, Q visas. My question is : I was in the US for enough time in at least 2 years for the last 6 years, but I was on a B1 visa. Now I am on J1 visa, should I file as resident or non Resident? I am sure, if I were on an F1 visa before for any time in 2 years of the last 6 years, then I should file as resident, because I had been exempt already for 2 years. But I just don't know how to include my time in the US being on a B1 business visa, when I was a medical student.

Feb 3, 2008, 10:07 PM
    For Example:

Someone was on an F1 visa for 6 months in 2004 and then 6 months in 2005. Now the same person has a trainee J1 visa during 2006. Since that person was already exempt from FICA taxes for at least 2 years in the past 6(2004, 2005 while on F1 visa), now that person is consider to be a resident for 2006 in terms of tax filing.

Now my situation:

I was a medical student on a B1 visa for 6 months in 2003 and then for another 6 months in 2005. (that s 2 years out of the last 6 ). IN 2006 I got my J1 visa and became a trainee. Should I be considered a resident for tax filing, since I was an exempt individual for at least 2 year already in the past 6 years??
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 01:49 PM
    PA:

Answered via PM.

In short, the B1 visa does not count and a previous two years as specified on the Form 8843. Your current J-1 visa is still good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident married to a non-resident: filing status [ 6 Answers ]

I am on H1b and does not pass significant presence test in 2007. My wife lives in home country and had been in the US for less than 30 days in 2007. I think I will need to file 1040nr. Am I single or married? I noticed that on w-4, there was a line saying" if you are married to a non-resident...

2007 Tax Filing Status with Non-Resident Spouse [ 7 Answers ]

I was recently married (Oct. 21, 2007) to a UK resident. We filed our immigration paperwork with the INS at the end of November to change my husband's status from "visitor" to "perm. resident" in the US. We got the receipts from the INS and have received his appt for fingerprinting. My...

Tax filing for resident & non resident states [ 1 Answers ]

I am a full time resident of NC. My employer pays state taxes for MI. My W2 has NC address. Do I need to file tax returns for NC also ? What would be the best solution so that I won't end up paying both state taxes ?

Tax treaty and resident filing status [ 5 Answers ]

I am a nonresident alien in the US on a student visa since 1998. Due to the substantial presence test I have been applying as a resident alien for tax purposes since the 2003 tax year. I got married in 2005, so for 2005 I filled the form 1040EZ as "married, filing jointly". I intend to do the same...

How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together. Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return? Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.

View more questions Search