Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kavanaugh koch Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Thermostat for wall furnace?
    I have a ten year old (propane) gravity wall furnace that came with it's own wall mounted thermostat, which is a Honeywell "Millivolt". I am now relocating the thermostat, because of a small remodeling, and want to replace the thermostat with a more up to date (looking) thermostat. Can I just go to a home improvement store and get a "universal" replacement thermostat? What do I need to know? Thanks,

Kavanaugh
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
    What does the old thermostat have running between it and the furnace? If it is a pair of small wires, they can easily be extended to any mechanical thermostat and connected to the R and W terminals. Likely none of the newer, digital will work without a transformer. If it is more like a thin copper tube, it is a special thermostat and ordinary ones will not work in place of it. I don't know if any modern one is available to replace it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP house furnace thermostat? [ 4 Answers ]

My furnace will come on with heat SOMETIMES and sometimes it WILL NOT? If I turn thermostat Down and then Up... it come on. Works for a few hours and then may or may not come back on? This is Thermostate problem or Furnace problem? Anything I can check? Thanks,

Furnace thermostat needs 24 v wire [ 6 Answers ]

My new White Rogers programmable furnace stat says it needs 24 v dc to run it. I installed it and am using the 2 AA batteries to power it, but I have 4 wires coming in now. I have A/C. The stat is running OK now but if I take the batteries out the display goes dead. I don't know how to run 24 v...

Thermostat Wiring for Electric Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I'm want to install the thermostat on our Electric Furnace. The wire leading to the furnace is a two wire (BLACK AND WHITE WIRES) It's heat only. The thermostat has a W and an R on the back of the stat. The furnace terminal has Y,W,O,C,G,F. The WO has a jumper between them? The W has a White...

Thermostat/Furnace Wiring Connection [ 1 Answers ]

Whew! It's over a 100 degrees in this house. My blower will turn on but the outside compressor will not. I notice that I now have a loose yellow wire inside the Goodman furnace. This yellow wire comes from the Y terminal on the thermostat. It must be related to my problem, but I don't know...

Furnace blower cycles with Thermostat off [ 2 Answers ]

Have Goodman Furnace built 1994. Worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. It starts cycling, and the heat icon does not show on the thermostat. I turn the thermostat off, the furnace continues to blow. Last night to verify, took the thermostat off the wall (but still had the furnace plugged in and...

View more questions Search