Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lallred Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 12:30 AM
    Furnace blower on, blowing cold air
    We installed a pellet stove with the intent of using the furnace blower to distribute the air throughout the home, however, nothing but cold air comes through the vents. Can anyone tell me why this is ?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2006, 05:05 AM
    Are you saying that you are using just the fan of your house furnace to circulate the warm air from the stove?

Jan 16, 2006, 09:05 PM
    Yes. I want the fan on the furnace to circulate the air through the house, which it is but the air coming from the ducts is "cool" air, not warm, not cold. The pellet stove sits approximately 5 feet from the cold air return upstairs which we thought would suck the warm air in and circulate throughout the house.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2006, 09:44 PM
    If the room with the pellet stove is open to other rooms, you could try blocking their return vents, forcing more of the air to pass by the pellet stove. In general blocking vents will mess up the efficiency of the furnace, but if you are just running the fan, it shouldn't make much difference. You should circulate less, but warmer air.

Jan 16, 2006, 09:47 PM
    Thank you. The only 2 returns upstairs are directly in front of the pellet stove and I blocked the only return downstairs to force it to pull from the returns upstairs. Maybe I should block one of the returns that is upstairs? Like, the one furthest from the pellet stove? Approximately another 3 feet from the first return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Furnace Blows Cold Air [ 18 Answers ]

This actually just started a day ago and I am trying to figure out as much as I can before calling a service person (if necessary). My apologies in advance if I am leaving out important details but I've never dealt with a faulty heater or A/C before. My central heater in the attic was running...

Heater Blowing Cold Air [ 5 Answers ]

Our Central Heating System has been on the "fritz" lately. It will work for a few hours, sometimes days kicking on and off like nomral then it will suddenly stop blowing warm air. The air is usually VERY cold, but its set on heat. There is a red light that usually starts flashing "em heat", we...

Furnace sometimes blowing cold air [ 7 Answers ]

We bought a brand-new house in May 2002. This winter (I don't think it happened last winter) when it got really cold outside, the furnace blew cold air. When it warms up outside, it starts blowing warm again. We had someone come and look at it and he told us it had a 30 degree heat pump?? And when...

Furnace won't stop blowing air - replaced the thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol U-29A that is probably about 8 years old. I don't when it started, but sometime over the summer it began acting up. The blower does not stop blowing air unless I turn off the furnace at the circuit breaker. The AC unit outside turns on and off through the thermostat, but the...

Furnace blowing cold air [ 3 Answers ]

Ruud oil furnace blowing cold air, fan running constantly

View more questions Search