Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lady_1776 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2003, 11:45 AM
    Rewiring to make a single phone line
    Presently I have two phone lines, my main one and a line for my computer. They are in two separate boxes outside. I would like to remove the additional line but don't want to pay the $85 or more to have a phone guy fix it up. I would just like all the phone lines to be for the primary line. If anyone knows how to rewire this I would love to know.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2003, 04:46 PM
    Rewiring to make a single phone line
    I am not quite sure I understand the problem. The boxes outside and wires coming into them belong to the phone company.. Nobody but the phone company is allowed to work on them. They can charge you any exorbitant price they want to make any changes, and there is nothing you can do about it. You can complain to the state utility commission, but likely it is useless.

The wires in your house including the ones going out to the box are yours. You can do as you wish or pay somebody a competitive rate to change them long as yo do not connect any non FCC approved equipment to them. If you have discontinued service to the second line, and want the lines that were connected to it, connected to the other line, you can open both boxes and move the wires from one to the other, Just twist the all the red wires together, and all the green ones together and curl them around the screws in the working box and tighten them up. Most phone cables have 4 wires, but only use the red and green. If your second line used the yellow and black, see if you can figure out which replaced the red, and which the green. Then you can connect them accordingly.

If you have beeen paying a monthly charge for maintaining the wires in your house, it seems to me the phone company should have to rewire things for free.

I got sick of poor service and high prices and fired my phone company. If you have cable internet service available, you can use it in place of your phone company. I was paying about $60 a month for lousy internet and phone service total. I am now paying $72 for great internet and better phone service, including all common features and my whole area code as local calls. If I use over 500 minutes of long distance, it costs 3.7 cents a minute. For $86, I could have cable internet and unlimited long distance. For details, see www.vonage.com. Your cable company may not know anything about this.
    bigsy657 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lady_1776
    Presently I have two phone lines, my main one and a line for my computer. They are in two seperate boxes outside. I would like to remove the additional line but don't want to pay the $85 or more to have a phone guy fix it up. I would just like all the phone lines to be for the primary line. If anyone knows how to rewire this I would love to know.

Thanks
    If I'm understanding you correct,u need to run a 3 pair telephone cable from your existing box inside your house that you plug your telephone in2,and run it to the box that you plug your computer in2take out the cables from the terminals that are already in the computer inside box,then with a punchdown tool you need to punch down the cables in2 the telephone inside box in numbers 234 and 5,then what order you put them in2 at the telephone end,use the same colours in the same numbers at the computer end... if you et trouble still,il try help u
    lindahoover Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Comment on bigsy657's post
    Not in normal English. Makes no sense to what I see on my jack.
    lindahoover Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 10:19 AM
    How do I rewire from two lines to one line?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
    LindaHoover - please be more specific - what exactly are you trying to do? Do you have two phone lines today serving the different extensions in your house, and you want to make it so that all extensions are wired to the same line?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freeing up phone line [ 3 Answers ]

My grandson is saving for a computer this summer. They live in the country and do not have access to cable, so he would have to be connected through the phone line, which would tie it up. What is out there that he could purchase, to be able to use the computer without tying up the phone? Thank...

Rewiring a phone jack [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know how to rewire a phone jack? It's in my den but it's a different line/number than the one I use in the rest of the house. I want to put my computer/DSL/fax/answering machine in that room without running an extension phone cord across the floor and down the hallway. The phone...

Rewiring an old phone [ 1 Answers ]

How do wire an old dial-up phone so I can plug it into a regular jack?

Rewire phone line [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am remodeling my garage into a living space. In order to add windows to my new living space I have to move the phone line in the wall. It goes through the middle of the proposed window. If I disconnect the line and move it down in the wall it will no longer reach the NID. It has to be...

Rewiring a phone jack [ 2 Answers ]

I wired our phone lines 10 years ago so that I could have 2 phone lines. Now I am having a third line added. How do I rewire an existing phone line for the third line. I just want to replace an existing fax/computer line with a dedicated computer line. I only need to do the one outlet next to...

View more questions Search